Please sign in to post.

transport

What is the cheapest way (ether than to hitch hike) from Amsterdam Hamburg or London to Rome, Genoa or Venice?? I looked up on way airfare and it is very pricey Michelle

Posted by
23343 posts

Two choices - deep discount airlines purchased well in advance with strict attention to their rules or advance purchase, deep discount rail tickets. Venice to Rome can be as cheap as about 10E. And, of course, the Regional trains are very cheap. About like hitch hiking.

Posted by
163 posts

I looked at the Euro rail page here and it is so complicated. I am taking my first trip next week and I know how to do the local train from Rome to Bari.. That is all I ne3ed this time.. But we have found 2 cruises we want to do next year.. One does Ireland and Brit Isles ends in Hamburg or Amsterdam.. The other does France and Italy.. But need to get on it in Italy,, Just planning ahead.. silly me michelle

Posted by
19118 posts

Don't start in London. From Amsterdam, you can get a night train to Munich for very low advance purchase discount fares; the same for Munich to Italy.

Posted by
23343 posts

Your big problem is "Euro rail" page - whatever that is. If you just want schedule information bahn.de is a good choice.

Posted by
11507 posts

Michelle as said,, flying really can be cheap cheap,, but not for anyone travelling next week,, even getting good prices for rail is too late..
Best prices for most transport options are to book well in advance..

Posted by
12172 posts

Cheap flights are the way to go when you have a long leg, everything else is too expensive and time consuming. I plan around long legs so it's not something I normally have to worry about, you may have to skip normal airline search engines in favor of the cheap carrier's websites.

Posted by
19118 posts

The bahn page for schedules is here. Be wary of cheap airlines, particularly RyanAir. RyanAir uses remote air fields, usually not the major one for a town. Rarely is there rail service to the airport, just buses. You'll spend lots of time and money getting to/from their airports.

Posted by
9363 posts

Funny thing about Ryanair: when I flew with them last month, we flew right to El Prat, Barcelona's main airport, when I really would have preferred Girona. Sometimes the more distant towns are where you want to be anyway.