Please sign in to post.

parking in amsterdam

we will be in Amsterdam in a week. We pick up our car on Thursday and would like to leave at airport for three days until we leave for points south. Our rental co. wanted 200.00 to not pick up for three days. Anyone park at airport after picking up car?

Posted by
9110 posts

Not very likely. Why would you want to pick up a car and not use it? Why not just scoot out and and start the rental period when you're ready to get moving?

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks for the reply. We have a 3 day houseboat rental in Amsterdam and I have driven there before and parked there and was trying to eliminate both those izsues.Plus friends have access to transportation.

Posted by
638 posts

Let me get this straight. Your rental period starts on Thursday, you want to leave the car at the airport or with the rental company till Sunday, the rental company says that will cost $200.00, in other words they will hold the car for your for 3 days for $68.00 and change. Why not just cancel that reservation and reserve the car for Sunday pickup? Parking and Amsterdam can be considered an oxymoron

Posted by
9 posts

The rental car is paid for. Autoeurope told me to change p/u date would cost 200.00 more even for fewer days because rates have changed. It was an idea that may not work and may be better to park in the city or at park and ride spots

Posted by
731 posts

I wonder if the houseboat rental folks could suggest a good spot?

Posted by
9 posts

we did and the suggested ones were like 40 euros

Posted by
9110 posts

Just one more reason to stay clear of AE. Can you cancel without penalty and start over? If not, it's a park out and tram in. Parking will cost about fifteen euro per day if you do.

Posted by
12172 posts

If park out and tram in is a viable solution. I'd suggest the Olympic Stadium. The parking is about as secure as it gets in A'dam, it has a convenient tram. I think the price was 20 euros per day when we parked there.

Posted by
9 posts

3 day houseboat rental for one reason--and just looking for ideas due to the fact that our previous trips have been a bit stresssful driving in amsterdam--but wonderful

Posted by
731 posts

Please come back and write a trip report when you get back - I'd love to hear about staying on a houseboat. Talk about the quintessential Amsterdam experience!

Posted by
148 posts

Aren't houseboats like infested with rats, like big smelly rats?

Posted by
1064 posts

Durb, ignore the snarky comments. They pop up from time and usually disappear just as suddenly. You are not the first person to rent a car and then change plans; I, and a lot of other drivers, have done so, and never gave it a second thought. If you give up the car for three days, you lose some money – not a lot if the rental period is at least a week. It might still be cheaper, for instance, than two three-day rentals. But a year from now, which will mean more to you: The houseboat experience in Amsterdam or the car sitting idle for three days? Just leave the car at a Park and Ride site and enjoy Amsterdam.

Posted by
4154 posts

I agree with Roy. We have rented a car for 2-3 weeks each for our last 3 trips. We didn't rent cars to drive all the time, although we do enjoy driving. We rented them because we wanted to go some places that were hard to get to by public transportation and because we wanted to have the freedom to go where and when we wanted, even if we were in a place for a week or more and had to pay to park it. Follow your choice of the recommendations for Amsterdam parking already given here and enjoy your Amsterdam and houseboat experience.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks to all. We will be in Europe for 27 days all in one rental car. Thanks for all the feedback on Amsterdam parking. This is our third trip in 6 years and never asked for advice. Lots of good choices for sure.