Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam Canal Tours

I read about Max's canal tours by Tina & Kyle Pakka in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia but Max’s email … maxman@tiscali.nl no longer is valid.

Does anyone have any information about Max or other canal tours in Amsterdam?

Posted by
964 posts

Hi Carolyn,
there are lots of canal tours in Amsterdam- all you need to do is show up with the fare! I've gone on several- they all seem to be pretty good. Hope that helps.

Posted by
852 posts

Hi Carolyn,
You could probably "google" 'canal tour, Amsterdam' and find specific information about several.
If you should arrive in Amsterdam at Centraal Station, upon leaving via the station main door proceed to the canal about a block straight ahead. You will find a canal tour box office and boat dock. When boarding the canal boat, wear your best smile. When you disembark at the end, you will find someone took a photo of you (and aren't you glad you used your best smile?). Be sure to buy the photo. Later, you will find it is a great souvenir of your trip.

Hope you enjoy Amsterdam ... P

Posted by
67 posts

Thanks for your replies! I am still hoping for some insight on a "different" canal tour.

If I don't come across anything, I will use my best smile when entering
the available, popular canal tours!

Any other suggestions or ideas for Amsterdam would be greatly appreciated! I have wanted to go and see the tulips for sooooooooooo long and I'm finally going!

Posted by
359 posts

If it's tulips you want, check websites for Lisse, Keukenhof Gardens and Aalsmeer flower auction; gotta be in the spring though. IMO, better ways to see Amsterdam than by tour boat -like on foot or rental bike.

Posted by
67 posts

Yes, we are going to Keukenhof Gardens ~ we actually planned the trip around seeing the tulips.

I have RS book and will take his walking tours ~ they are always good!

The canal boat ride is just something else to experience. When I think of Holland, I think of tulips, windmills and canals! Of course, I want to make the most out
of everything I do in Holland.

Posted by
44 posts

It's been a few years since I've been in Amsterdam, so I can't promise it still exists---but if so, try "Canal Bike." These are two-person paddle boats that you can operate around the canals. Assuming your legs are up to peddling for an hour, it's great fun. You're level with the house boats which can give you unique insights to life on the canals. They're easy enough to navigate although I admit holding my breath the first time one of the 200-person tour boats went by. We did it in a light rain and it was still a highlight of our time in Amsterdam.

Enjoy the tulips--I wish I were going with you!

Posted by
67 posts

Maggie, Are all of the canal tours basically the same or is there something
I should look for when making my choice?