Please sign in to post.

VAT Tax

I plan on making a big purchase in Paris, We are then driving to Switzerland, and ending our trip in Munich. Will I be able to get my VAT taxes back from Paris purchase in the Munich Airport?

Posted by
5341 posts

Sarah though has the wrinkle that she is leaving the EU for Switzerland, then re-entering the EU to depart ultimately from Germany. The question therefore is whether she needs to get the refund at the land border. My suspicion these days is that there won't be any awareness of this side trip so to speak by officials in Munich but that is not from watertight legal knowledge. There are still spot checks by Swiss customs on entry, but they are more interested in residents bringing in goods cheaper in the EU such as potatoes.

Posted by
1097 posts

Sarah, I did this - purchase in Paris, went to Switzerland, then mailed VAT form back to Paris vendor after having it validated in Rome airport. They didn't even look at our purchases. (Nice lady at Delta counter actually mailed envelope for me since I couldn't find a mail drop.) I got VAT back on my credit card within days. I was pleasantly surprised. However, I don't know how it works if you're trying to get the VAT back from one of the airport places. Maybe you can do it direct with vendor like we did?
Celeste