Please sign in to post.

Car insurance

Hi. We are renting a car in France. We purchased travel guard. Was this a smart purchase or should we get the insurance from the car rental? Thanks Linda

Posted by
23548 posts

I have no idea what travel guard covers and under what conditions. Read your policy. If using a credit card insurance, read the fine print carefully at least three times. There has been more than one report on this site when VISA did not step up because of technically requirements. I personally do not, will not rely on VISA for insurance coverage. Am Express has a better arrangement.

Posted by
1297 posts

I used travelguard in 2003, but never filed a claim so... In 2008, we did the same thing with CSA. It was a plan that included regular Travelers insurance with a $50,000 zero deductible car insurance. We did have to file a claim, and it was paid promptly with no problems. Much cheaper way to go than getting zero deductible from the rental agency. (travelguard was not insuring people in my state in 2008 for car rental...which is why we switched to CSA) I did the same in 2012, but did not have to file a claim. I think it is a good way to go. In 2012, we did 2 car rentals (one in France, one in Iceland) and the CSA policy covered both. One piece of advice: read the policy before you go and you might consider bringing a copy of it. (Unless you can access it from your phone or something) When we had our accident, we pulled out our policy and made SURE we were following all the rules. They included time limits on notifying the car rental place, the insurance company, and getting the right documentation from the police.