Please sign in to post.

Cheap food and picnics in Rome

I am going to Rome in a few days, and I just want to get some more ideas on cheap places and ways to eat. If you have any suggestions on great value restaurants or if you have a suggestion on where to get and WHAT to get for a nice picnic lunch. Please be specific on names and locations if you can. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
239 posts

Hi Lisa--There is a farmers market every morning in Campo dei Fiori. Lots of vendors, so you'll find all the items you could want for a picnic--fresh meats, fresh produce, fabulous little mozzarella balls--plus there is a wine shop in the corner of the campo to complete your meal. There are also non-food vendors selling kitchen items, including glassware if you need something to drink your wine out of or a knife to cut your food. Type "campo de' fiori, rome, italy" (without the quotes) into the google maps search bar, and you can see exactly where it is. You'll also find it marked on maps in Rick Steves' book. Great food at great prices, and a wonderful experience! While restaurants can be pricey, you'll also see places to get a sandwich or pizza slice, like the alimentari Antica Salumeria in the piazza in front of the Pantheon, and Caffe dello Studente near St. Peter in Chains; I've had delicious, cheap food from both. They are both listed in Rick's book.

Posted by
277 posts

Do not mean to be rude. However, you question is a silly one. Go to any market (same in US, maybe not TN) and purchase the same items as you would in your local market. Duh, let's see: Fruit, cold cuts, soda, water, bread, and maybe wine.

Posted by
75 posts

Jeff I don't think her question is silly. In fact its practical. Different countries are well different. And if you you don't know where to go or how to ask for it then its difficult. I asked almost the same question in Trip advisor and didn't get a rude response like yours.

The first poster has great ideas. i ate cheaply only spending about 40-60 euros a day on food, transport, entrance fees and a few gifts. I got lunch meats and rolls portable type stuff. Also getting sandwiches at the vending coaches is a great cheap way to eat as well average sandwich heated was about 4-6 euros good stuff. I also never spent more than 7-10 euros for dinner either unless it was a special dinner. Unfortunately I don't remember the name but if you go to trip advisor the ladies there will know the names of places you can stop at. hope that helps.

Just a side note if you go on the side streets prices are much much cheaper.

Posted by
239 posts

While common sense is always important, I think the purpose of this board is to get specific suggestions from people who have been there. I ask the same kinds of questions if I am traveling domestically, too; when you are in a new city, you want to know what's available.

Posted by
12172 posts

A couple more tips:

First tip: 100 grams of cut cheese or meat is a perfect portion to split between two and have a little left over. At the grocery store, I usually order 100 grams of meat, 100 grams of cheese, buy some small bread rolls, pop, wine, chocolote, etc. then head to a nearby park. In Italy one hundred grams is an Etto. Just ask for an Etto and point to what you want.

Second tip: If you see a pizza place and think you might want to grab a slice, don't sit down. Unlike here, sitting down adds a service charge for the table. The cost of your pizza slices will suddenly double. They will probably offer you a table very politely. Just say, "No thank you".

Posted by
55 posts

I guess I was dumb for not asking a smart question. Does anyone have a favorite market or great value market they can suggest? Also are there any special items or favorite items in that market that you would like to pass on to me to try? Or do you have a great value resturant that you can suggest? I am just trying to get new ideas for my second trip to Rome. I did not do "the picnic thing" on the first trip and I am always looking to save money on a great meal. Thank you for your HELP not put downs.

Posted by
277 posts

To Melanie: "Jeff I don't think her question is silly. In fact its practical. Different countries are well different. And if you you don't know where to go or how to ask for it then its difficult. I asked almost the same question in Trip advisor and didn't get a rude response like yours."
Regarding your response to mine: I have had the opportunity to travel extensively the world. I, too, look for the less expensive way to travel. Any where I have traveled: Moscow to China, to South America, I have always found a "deli: for a "picnic meal" Rather than calling me rude, I think you need to be a little more educated in the experiences of travel.

Posted by
2030 posts

Guys -- I think the bottom line of what we are trying to tell Lisa is, she will have no trouble finding great food in Rome. Often, even if you have a recommendation of a specific place to go, when it comes down to it you cannot get there and have to eat where you happen to be. I think she will do fine -- she knows Italian food right? It's all there!

Posted by
55 posts

I guess this post has just gotten way off topic. I have been to Rome I have many great places to eat that I want to try again. However, the first time I went I didn't to the picnic thing so I just wanted to know if anyone had a market they think I should try or an item in that market that is really good. Also I think we are all looking for great places to eat. So that is all I was looking for. Suggestions, ideas and any details you can give about markets and resturants. Other than the obvious items I can see when I walk in the door. THANKS!!!!

Posted by
2030 posts

Well in Italy I had mortadella, which I had not eaten before and haven't since, but when I rented an apartment in Tuscany the owner left food for us, and I loved it. You might want to include some of this in your picnic.

Posted by
359 posts

Hi Lisa; been to Rome many times but on an expense account, not on my own dime. That'll change in the spring when I'm doing tourist with my 'missus' and we got some helpful advice from Rick's "Rome" book where he devotes a page to 'picnics in Rome'. I guess Rick figures the neophytes, as well as those with lots of miles on their passports, need some suggestions or help in some areas; he's right. He doesn't name places but does suggest foodstuffs to pick up for a picnic and the types of shops to get them at; such as the local deli or 'alimentari'. Go early 'cause a lot close at noon, ask them and they'll put together a sandwich for you -with your choice of bread.
No bad questions here, only bad answers -and you got one previously; have fun girl! Another Jeff but spelled the right way........Geoff