Please sign in to post.

trip to europe

what is the quickest way to get to my destinations? paris to Barcelona. Barcelona to Athens? Athens to Pescara? Pescara to Dresden? Dresden to berlin? and berlin to paris? trip is 4o days long. need air pricing if possible between points. is this trip even possible?

Posted by
513 posts

Much of your itinerary is doable by train - Dresden to Berlin is only a couple of hours. But we aren't travel agents, and tat sounds like what you need at this stage of your planning.

Posted by
23337 posts

With 40 days why the emphasis on quick? Train travel is often faster than flying if the train is around five hours. If you are not willing to do this yourself then get a local travel agent.

Posted by
32220 posts

barry, These are the methods I'd use on the routes you mentioned...... > Paris to Barcelona - EasyJet from CDG to BCN (flight time ~1H:45M, fares as low as ~€70, which will vary depending on when you book) > Barcelona to Athens - Aegean Air from BCN to ATH (flight time 2H:55M, didn't check prices) > Athens to Pescara - EasyJet from ATH to Roma / FCO (flight time is 2H:05M as I believe Athens is a different time zone); Leonardo Express from FCO to Roma Termini (35M - DON'T forget to validate!); Train from Termini to Pescara (~4.5H, usually one change at Roma Tiburtina). Note that Pescara has more than one station. (Pescara is a bit off the usual "tourist route" - is there a specific reason you're visiting there?) > Pescara to Dresden - That's going to be a challenge. I haven't looked at options but the easiest might be to go back to Rome the night before you want to go to Dresden and use a budget flight. Vueling has flights on that route departing at 07:15 with a layover in Barcelona, but they don't run every day. > Dresden to Berlin - That will be a VERY easy trip. There are direct trains on that route with a travel time of 2H:10M. > Berlin to Paris - Although you could take a flight, I'd go by train as it will be less of a hassle and more relaxing (and the scenery will be nicer). There's a departure from Berlin Hbf at 07:47, arriving Paris Est at 15:59 (time 8H:12M, one change at Köln, reservations compulsory on the second leg, which is via Thalys). The pricing for air trips will depend on when you book and which airline you're using, so there's no way I can provide that information. You didn't say when this trip is taking place. Cheers!

Posted by
15602 posts

Here are a few points to consider - 1. both plane and train tickets are much cheaper if you buy well in advance. I don't know the timing for air, but train tickets usually go on sale around 120, 90 or sometimes 60 days in advance and the cheap tickets (especially for peak times) are bought up quickly. Often these tickets have strict limitations - no exchange, no refund, or high fees for changes. 2. When you are comparing prices, take into account the ancillary costs. It is usually considerably more expensive to get to airports, far from town. The budget airlines sometimes fly from more remote airports. Train stations are normally in the center. 3. when you are comparing travel times, take #2 above into account. It usually takes a lot longer to get to/from the airport than the train station. You have to be at the airport a lot earlier. 4. luggage is easy to manage on the train and there's no additional cost. Even if you are traveling with hand luggage only, you may need to check your bag on European flight - often the carry-on limits are much stricter regarding both size and weight. Also, the liquid-etc. restrictions on flights may mean you'll have to check a bag. That means waiting time at your destination. And watch out for extra fees on airfares - bags, seat reservations, booking fees. That's why most folks here recommend train travel - even if it's a fairly long ride. Not Barcelona to Athens though :-)