Please sign in to post.

cruise stops

We are cruising with stops in Genoa, Italy-Marseilles, France-Palma De Mallorca, Spain-Barcelona (which we hired all day private tour) & Valencia, Spain
Of all these ports which if any should we tour the area around the city & not stay in the city??

Posted by
12313 posts

Your best source will be cruisecritic.com. They have multiple reviews of every port (and every ship). You can get an idea what your options are at each of your ports. You might notice the people at cruise critic tend toward cruise sponsored tours, and I'm the opposite. Once you decide your top sights, there's usually a way to tour it faster and cheaper by doing it yourself (or even hiring a local guide) rather than taking the cruise tour. If you like, cruise critic also has a roll call section for chats with people who will be on your specific cruise. They normally try to have an informal get-together on the ship and sometime organize private tours within the group.

Posted by
1022 posts

The Luberon is about 1.5 hours from the Marseilles port by car. To us it is the best of Provence so it would be good for a tour. You could also take the train on your own to nearby Cassis which is very picturesque with restaurants and shops around the harbor. It's been a long time since I visited Marseilles. I only remember Chateau d'If which is worth a visit if you stay in Marseilles.

Posted by
15768 posts

For a good idea of the top itineraries for each port stop, look at the tours your cruise line sells. You can usually pack in a lot more than any of them, though, because there's usually a lot of eating and shopping time included.