Please sign in to post.

May Day

In April we are making a return trip for one week to a timeshare in Vincennes where Paris is just a 20 minute Metro ride away. Then we move on to a timeshare in Conelles in the Burgundy region. We are thinking that this is a small, somewhat off the beaten track town and to get there and see the sights we should rent a car either in Vincennes or back at CDG airport. We've just realized that we'll be returning the car on the May Day holiday and wondered if this would be a problem in Vincennes and if we'd be better off renting at the airport. And can we expect to find museums and restaurants closed that day? (Our flight home is early on May 2nd).

Posted by
4132 posts

Burgundy is delightfully rural and a car is helpful.

My experience is that there are generally no drop-off fees for a car rental within France. Consequently there is not need to schlep all the way out the airport to rent a car. You can rent in Vincennes, supposing there is an agency there, or in Burgundy and return it wherever works best for you.

I have never been in France on May 1 but once returned a rental car to a closed agency, in Versailles. We just parked on the street and returned the keys and some paperwork through the mail slot. I would discuss this issue with the rental agency or consolidator you will use.