Please sign in to post.

Converters/Adapters

We have an Ipod & Ipad & Iphone as well as a droid phone (Samsung Galaxy III) we will have on a trip to Europe. Barcelona / Venice / Switzerland. Do we need a converter for these devices or can we get buy with just the adapter plugs? Thanks Bob

Posted by
23548 posts

Most likely you will get by with just the appropriate plug convert since most electronics are set up for dual voltage. HOWEVER, just to be save with any electronic or electrical devise check the required input voltage on the plug. If it indicates a range of 120-240, 250v, you are good to go. If it only says 120v then obvious your are not.

Posted by
32322 posts

Judy & Bob, The others have provided good answers on the Plug Adaptor question. As long as the Chargers for all of your devices are rated for an Input Voltage of 100-240 VAC, they'll work fine with just a Plug Adaptor. One other point to address is whether your iPhone or Samsung Galaxy will even work in Europe. Which network are you with in the U.S. and which model iPhone are you using? As both are Smartphones, you will need to be VERY CAREFUL with the aspect of data roaming as the costs can be HUGE (ie: five figures). Happy travels!

Posted by
12040 posts

Switzerland uses a slightly different outlet configuration from the rest of the continent. Even for electronic devices that I've purchased in Europe, I need to use a Swiss socket adaptor. Your hotel should be able to provide the proper adaptor upon request. Also, some older buildings in Italy may still use an Italian-specific 3 prong outlet. I had no trouble finding adaptors at a grocery store.