Please sign in to post.

two nights away from Berlin

My wife and I are taking our first trip alone since our children were born 3 and 1 year ago. We have 5 nights in Berlin booked but are looking to round out 2 other nights at a nearby city. I am thinking that Prague or Vienna look nice, does anyone have any comments or other suggestions? Thank you.

Posted by
565 posts

How about Dresden? It's a very short trip (2 1/2 hrs by train) from Berlin and is easily one of the most underrated cities in Germany.
You're going to love Berlin. It's my favorite!

Posted by
2829 posts

I'd go for the Harz region. Werningerode is a nice place to spend 2 nights. Wien is too far for just a 2-night stay.

Posted by
2297 posts

This looks like a short trip so I would try to keep transportation time as short as possible. Neither Vienna nor Prague are really nearby. You'd have to fly to Vienna, Prague is about 5 hrs by train. There are wonderful destinations much closer and worthwhile: * Dresden - great if you like history, chateaus and museums * Hamburg - experience another large but very different German city
* Harz/Wernigerode - to see a beautiful example of small town scenic Germany

Posted by
2779 posts

If you want a city of equal size of Berlin but with a completely different character check out Hamburg (90mins by train), probably the most beautiful German city. If you want history, baroque architecture and a smaller city, visit Dresden. It's called the Florence of the North and you'll see why. Take a steamboat tour on Elbe river... If you want to explore small-town and rural Germany, which is the actual Germany, do the Harz mountains. Quedlinburg for example has got a picture-post card old town with half-timbered houses etc. Or what about the seaside? Stralsund is a beautiful history town by the Baltic Sea coast. Or consider Warnemünde as an actual seaside resort. It's all within a 3 hours radius of Berlin.