Please sign in to post.

Paris in 3+ days

I need your usual great advice and help! We'll be in Paris in late May in what's left of the day we arrive (arrive at hotel, which is near Invalides' golden dome, around 4:00) and 3 more full days. We're trying to plan our itinerary and wondering approximately how much time we should allow in each of the following places: Notre-Dame Cathedral (not the tower), Sainte-Chapelle, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe & Champs-Elysees, Orsay Museum, Orangerie Museum, Rodin Museum, trip to top of the Eiffel Tower, Latin Quarter, Trocadero. Is it worth taking a whole half day to visit Versailles? What about Montmartre & Sacre-Coeur? Thanks so very much!

Posted by
4132 posts

These are all such great places. You'll have your own favorites. To make planning decisions, a map and a few guidebooks are even better friends than this helpline. You want to read enough about these places to have a good idea about what the sweet spot is for time spent, for you. Once you have a handle on that you can start to put together itineraries in your head, like pieces in a puzzle, based on what would be fun and logistics. You want to put together days with variety and, that time of year, walking around time. Follow every Louvre with a garden or Champs Elysees. Don't cram too many museums together. Take note of what is open when. Have a blast! You'll see a lot and it will be great.

Posted by
2081 posts

hi, i agree with the map. Go and buy a Paris map or use google maps and piecemeal one togeather. This way you will be able to plot out where you will be traveling and be able to group them in areas so you arent chris crossing Paris for every thing. How much time you spend at each is up to you. If you like Museums, i would assume you would want to spend more time in them, right? If you like particluar things in museums, like Art more than artifacts, then again, you can get an idea on what to skip. If you go to the individual Museums web sites, you will get an idea on the layout and what exibits are currently shown. Also, as mentioned RS books goes over this, but i did my own research and padded the times I wanted to spend in/at each thing. Versailles? again, its up to you. How IMPORTANT is it to you. I skipped it since I WILL BE BACK and will get it the next time! From my experince, i spent more time in order of time: > Louve > MO
> NOtra Dame > Pantheon everything else was about a couple hours at the most. The Arc De Triomphe didnt take that long along with the Chaamps-Elysee. The Eiffle tower i spent more time waiting in line than i did on the top or 2nd level. Also, on my days there, i only planned to do stuff for approx 6 hours that way if i wanted to spend more time in something, i had the time. St Chapelle was short due to the construction. They had limited the open are to juat part of the cathedral. happy trails.

Posted by
7119 posts

Karen, if you don't already have guide book/s I will say that my favorite book was RS Pocket Paris. The removable map at the back was my constant companion while touring Paris and his museum "tours" gave a good indication how much time to allocate for each. Best little Paris guidebook ever! It can be very hard to estimate how long it will take somebody else to tour a place as they may spend more or less time than you on certain areas. Notre Dame took me about 1-1/2 hr including the wait in line (no reserved tickets and no line jumping) but you may have shorter lines in May. The Louvre can take two or more whole days if you want to see it all, you need to decide what you want to see and plan accordingly. Yes, Versailles needs at least a full half-day. A walking tour of Montmartre and a visit to Sacre-Coeur took me about 2 hrs but you might want to have lunch there so it could take more. Same with the Latin Quarter. I didn't go through the Rodin museum but I spent about an hour in the gardens. Others will chime in on your other sites. I must say you'll have 3 packed days if you see all of the things on your list. Good luck and happy travels.

Posted by
1103 posts

With only three days, I would consider skipping Versailles. A museum pass would help with avoiding lines (also, check to see if you will be there on any days when museums are closed). At the Louvre, a highlights tour might be a good idea.

Posted by
115 posts

Buy tickets for the Eiffle Tower before you go to save time.