Please sign in to post.

100-200 euro January hotel for Venice, London and Edinburgh

Hello all,
Thanks in advance for your responses.
Going to Europe in January with a dear friend who has never been. We are visiting Venice, Paris, London and Edinburgh. We have our Paris hotel lined up but would love to query the group for good, centrally located hotels in the 100-200 euros range in January for Venice, London and Edinburgh. Thank you, Lisa

Posted by
1318 posts

Motel One, Edinburgh:loved location just across beautiful Balmoral Hotel and convenient to train station, not far from bus station; bed super comfortable

Premier Inn, Westminster, London: location fantastic, they were renovating the restaurant at the time of my visit in September but I bet the restaurant remodel is finished now though.

Posted by
4044 posts

In European cities the Ibis chain run efficient, moderate priced hotels. In London, nothing "moderate " can be had for the lower end of your price range. Easy access to public transit such as the Tube is an important factor in location as the city's attractions are widespread.

Posted by
7661 posts

Agree on Premier Inn for London.

Been to Venice several times, the cheapest descent hotels/BnBs are near the main train station.

Posted by
8660 posts

A simple reminder that in London and Edinburgh the currency will be British Sterling ( £’s ) NOT Euros.

As a math atheist I’m not doing the calculation but as frequent traveler to London ( one of the most expensive cities on the planet) you’ll need to reevaluate your accommodation budget.

Posted by
6532 posts

In October we stayed at the Premier Inn, City Centre Royal Mile in Edinburgh and it was £147. If you wanted a nice buffet breakfast it was an additional £9.5 per person.

Posted by
4318 posts

The current exchange rate is 1.16 euro/pound and 1.05 euro/dollar.

Posted by
16241 posts

Hotel San Cassiano looks like a nice option for Venice within their budget. The challenge will be whether your dates are available—- many dates I treated after mid-month are fully booked.

You can use booking.com to find possibilities, using the filter for price on your dates. And filter for a rating of 8 or higher. Pick a few that look promising and come back here to ask about the location or other details. Then book the one you like directly with the hotel.

Posted by
4318 posts

Carol now retired, I've heard the term "math denier" and as a former science teacher I have a problem with people who think it's cute to be "math averse". We had a history teacher who said "Zero is just an invented idea"-until someone asked him, "So it doesn't matter how many zeros there are in your salary on your contract?"

Posted by
8141 posts

Go to Google Maps and put in the city and any neighborhood you're interested in staying in. Magnify the map and then check on the Hotels block at the top.

Hotel icons will show up all over the place with the room price. Click on the icon to see if it meets your standards.

We once went to Venice in January and we like to have froze our tails off. There were wooden sidewalks all over St. Marks Square, and the tide was overflowing onto the square. I hope you'll have better weather.

Posted by
4825 posts

"So it doesn't matter how many zeros there are in your salary on your contract?"

LOL!

Posted by
322 posts

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice! Looking at some of the hotels you mentioned.
I always love the advice I get here, thanks again!

Posted by
1768 posts

Lisa in Venice I would stay in an apartment. There's a ton of really nice ones that are quite affordable, and you can choose your location as they remain affordable basically wherever you want to be in the city. Dollar to dollar compared to hotel rooms they are as good or better.

I particularly like to have an apartment in towns that are quite touristy like Venice. Colmar for instance, or Beaune. Kitchen and living room provide respite from the touristy busy. You can bring in a lot of good food and leave the mobs outside.