Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum Pass vs Paris "Pass"

I originally posted this information two years ago, so I’ve just revised it.
Interestingly enough, the prices for the Paris Museum Pass have not changed, but those for the Paris 'Pass' have.

I thought this topic would be beneficial, especially for first time visitors to Paris.

Here is an excerpt from the official website of The Paris Museum Pass:

With the PARIS MUSEUM PASS, you gain free entry, without queuing*
and as many times as you wish, to over 50 museums and monuments in and
around Paris.

The more you visit, the more you save. So, why wait? Set off on a
discovery of one of the most amazing heritages in the world!

WHAT BENEFITS DOES THE PASS OFFER?

Three options to choose from: 2, 4 or 6 consecutive days.

Free, direct access to monuments and the museums’ permanent
collections.

Unlimited number of visits.

*Not guaranteed when there are security checks in place or limited regulated access for security reasons.

One has 3 options to choose from when buying the Paris Museum Pass:

• 2 day pass = €48 per person
  • 4 day pass = €62 per person
  • 6 day pass = €74 per person

There is no need to purchase this pass online, as you can easily purchase it (at any of the museums/monuments included in the pass) in Paris. You can also buy it at CDG Airport

The pass must be used on consecutive days, so plan your Paris visit accordingly, and keep in mind that some museums are closed on Mondays & some on Tuesdays.

The Paris 'Pass' is a combination of various passes, including the Paris Museum Pass, the Paris Visite travelcard, & others.
You can read more about this pass here: ParisPass.com

Please note that the Paris Visite travelcard provides unlimited public transportation within Paris (Zone 1 - 3 only)
So, if you plan to visit the Chateau Versailles, (located in Zone 4), you'll need to buy a separate ticket.

Here is the BIG difference. The prices for the Paris Pass are as follow: ParisPassPrices

2 day pass: Adult €131; Teen €81; Child €44
3 day pass: Adult €165; Teen €100; Child €50
4 day pass: Adult €196; Teen €109; Child €57
6 day pass: Adult €244; Teen €135; Child €75

Please Note: Child Passes are for 4-11 year olds, Teen Passes are for 12-17 year olds, Adult Passes are 18 year olds and above.

3 Day Paris Passes come with a 2 Day Museum Pass.

As you can see, there’s a HUGE difference in price between these two passes.

If you want unlimited public transportation (Metro, bus & RER) in Paris (includes Zone 1-5), then you may look into buying the Navigo Découverte week pass.

The Navigo Découverte {€22.80/ Week (Monday-- Sunday) + €5 card fee} also covers unlimited transportation to:

• Airport CDG Airport (Zone 5)
  • Disneyland Paris (Zone 5)
  • Chateau de Versailles (Zone 4) & Chateau Fontainebleau
  • Orly Airport (via RER C & Orlybus only)

If you're traveling with children (younger than 18), you do not need to buy a museum pass for them, because they can enter most museums for free (may need to show ID as proof of age).
You may still need to obtain your children's 'free tickets', at a few places.

Happy travels!

PLEASE NOTE: Passes DO NOT entitle one to skip security lines found at most museums/ monuments.

Posted by
7981 posts

It is this kind of advertising that undoubtedly led the middle age American tourist having a hissy fit at the Musee d'Orsay when he was told to go to the back of the security line instead of trying to push ahead of everyone else at the passholder/ticket holder entrance. The Museum Pass (and this is the part of the bogus 'Paris Pass' that actually has line advantage) often gets you a shorter security line; it does not let you 'skip the line' except the ticket line itself.

Posted by
5188 posts

Janet,
You’re right!

The Museum Pass (and this is the part of the bogus 'Paris Pass' that actually has line advantage) often gets you a shorter security line; it does not let you 'skip the line' except the ticket line itself.

I agree that their advertisement should be worded better.

Note the (small) asterisk after the words, “without queuing*”, with an explanation at the bottom, however I think this should be explained further on their website.

I’ve edited my post and have added a note at the very end explaining this.

The main purpose for this post is to point out the difference in price between the two passes.

Posted by
7981 posts

Yes no criticism of your post which is very helpful -- a lot of people think the Paris Pass is a pass that allows you to do this and that. It is not a pass, it is a collection of already available products some of which are useful like the Museum Pass and some of which are horribly overpriced like the Paris Visite transport pass, all of which can be obtained without buying this overpriced product.

Posted by
5188 posts

Thanks Janet for clarifying.

I agree 100% that the Paris “pass” is terribly overpriced!

It’s a shame that so many travelers are easily persuaded by their obviously effective and enticing advertisement.

Their advertisement even makes people believe that they are saving money by buying this “all- inclusive pass”

On the other hand, I do believe that the Paris Museum Pass is a good deal, especially if one plans to visit many of the wonderful museums and monuments in and around Paris.

Posted by
1 posts

I will be traveling to Paris with my 14 year old son next July. Am I correct in thinking that I will need to purchase a museum pass only for myself? If I skip the line (not security line) is he able to skip with me? I was unclear on the procedures when with a child. Also, will his passport work for age verification? Thank you.

Posted by
11294 posts

"I will be traveling to Paris with my 14 year old son next July. Am I correct in thinking that I will need to purchase a museum pass only for myself?"

Yes, but you can check the website of each attraction to make sure he will be admitted free.

"If I skip the line (not security line) is he able to skip with me? I was unclear on the procedures when with a child."

At most attractions, yes, he just goes with you. However, at a few, like the Arc de Triomphe, he has to get a free ticket, so he cannot skip the line with you.

"Also, will his passport work for age verification?"

Yes.

Posted by
5188 posts

Amy,

I see that Harold has answered your questions. Thanks Harold!

You may be interested in reading this post: Paris Museum Pass and kids.

Don’t forget to book your Eiffel Tower tickets, 92 days in advance, for they do sell out very quickly!

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
5188 posts

Barbra,

What sells out quickly at Tour Eiffel? When? Walked right up in mid-October last year.

Amy plans to visit Paris in July (peak tourist season), so it’s a good idea to book Eiffel Tower tickets in advance unless she wants to wait in a possibly long queue.

When my daughter and I visited Paris in June 2016, I booked our tickets 92 days in advance, and they sold out within minutes.

I’ve read that the queue to go up the stairs is not as long, so that’s certainly a possibility for some.

Posted by
2 posts

My wife and I are going to visit Paris for two and a half days in November (my 60th birthday). Just to clarify, will the Paris Museum Pass let me skip the ticket line? I understand no one skips security. Also, any recommendations on other activities? We love museums, walking 'local' stuff, but as this is our first time in Paris any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Posted by
7981 posts

Many museums have separate security line for those who have tickets or passes e.g. at the Orsay this is a big deal as you use a separate door. In October the main lines may not be as long but you don't want to count on that since your trip is short and you don't want to come back if the line is long that day. I'd only get the Museum Pass if you will be going to enough sites to make it cost effective or especially if you would like to visit the same place repeatedly. I would rather do 2 or 3 hours at the Louvre twice than 6 hours once. We had a professional membership for the Louvre one year when we stayed in Paris for two months and we enjoyed going for about 2 hours to focus on one part of the museum and then returning the next week for another part.

You can buy tickets for museums on line or at a FNAC store and having a ticket gives you all the benefits of having a Museum Pass if that is not cost effective for you.

Posted by
5188 posts

Scott,

Just to clarify, will the Paris Museum Pass let me skip the ticket line? I understand no one skips security. Also, any recommendations on other activities?

Yes, some museums have separate security lines for people with advance tickets, or for those with the Paris Museum Pass.

Paris is full of amazing museums, beautiful churches, spectacular architecture and gardens, as well as various interesting districts, so I’d suggest getting a good guidebook in order to help you plan your visit.

You may be interested in reading this recent post here: Best views of Paris- not the Eiffel Tower

Happy 60th birthday!

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited to add:
Don’t miss the Eiffel Tower as it twinkles on the hour every night. My favorite place was standing on the Trocadéro (across the Seine) with a multitude of people!

Posted by
45 posts

Thanks for this information. I've been debating whether the Paris Pass will be worth it this December. I plan on taking the buses rather than the Metro to save my knees from the surprises of broken escalators, and then supplementing those with taxis and a HOHO bus.

Posted by
5188 posts

Rae,
My daughter and I took many buses when we visited Paris as she and I were both experiencing knee problems.

If you plan to be in Paris for 4 or more days, you may consider getting the Navigo Découverte (week pass) which you can use for all transportation options including Metro, buses, RER (suburban) trains and trams in all of Paris.
Keep in mind that this pass is valid from Monday through Sunday.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
45 posts

That’s interesting. So if I arrived in Paris on a Friday and stay for 8 days, I will need to buy two weeks’ worth on the Navigo? One for Friday through Sunday. And then Sunday through Saturday.

Posted by
2537 posts

if I arrived in Paris on a Friday and stay for 8 days, I will need to buy two weeks’ worth on the Navigo? One for Friday through Sunday. And then Sunday through Saturday.

Weekly Navigo fares do not work like that and you cannot purchase two weeks worth as you have outlined.

Fares for the current Monday through Sunday period are available for purchase up to and including Thursday. Weekly fares purchased and loaded on any Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, become effective and usable starting on Monday.

If you arrive on a Friday and want to use public transportation options that day as well as on Saturday and Sunday, you may purchase a Navigo Jour fare (a day pass similar to the Mobilis); point to point tickets if using the RER or transilien trains, tickets t+ for the métro, bus, tramway, or funicular, or the Paris Visite pass.

Posted by
5188 posts

Rae,
You’ve received great information from Tocard. Thanks Tocard! 😊

You may want to refer to this very helpful website for more details about all the various tickets available to you in Paris: ParisbyTrain.com

BTW, you can buy a “Carnet” (10 tickets at a slight discount) for your first three days in Paris (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)

Enjoy your time in beautiful PAris!