Please sign in to post.

Paris Museum Pass

I am confused: the Rick Steves book says it costs for 6 days 74 Euros.
When I look on line the cost for the Paris Pass is 238 Euros for 6 days.

Tom L

Posted by
20070 posts

You are confusing the Paris Pass with the Paris Museum Pass, The Paris Pass includes a Museum Pass, Visite transit pass, and a pile of discount coupons, most of which you'll never use. It is not a very good deal as about 50% of its price is marketing costs and profit for the promoters. Stick to the Museum Pass.
http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

Part of the problem is that the Paris Pass pays Google to bring it to the top of the list when you google "Paris Museum Pass".

Posted by
15802 posts

Just backing up Sam here: the Paris Pass is not an economical buy at all. It's much cheaper to buy a Paris Museum Pass plus carnets (books of 10 t+ tickets; 14.90 €) for the public transit system. These tickets do not cover transit to/from the airports or outside of central Paris but are fine for getting to most of what visitors come to see.

https://www.ratp.fr/en/visite-paris/english/preparing-your-trip-tickets-and-travel-passes-designed-you

A Navigo Découverte pass is another good option for transport, and much less expensive than the Visite Pass which comes with the Paris Pass and is heavily touted to tourists. There's a discussion about that one on this recent thread:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/ratp-travel-choices

Posted by
2349 posts

That website for Paris Museum Pass in Sam's post is a great resource. It lists the covered museum by name and also by map. You can get a description of each museum as well as a link to the museum's website.

Posted by
208 posts

In addition to the Paris Museum Pass, If you want a Metro/RER/Bus pass, your best bet if you plan on using it regularly or even getting to and from CDG is the Navigo Decouverte Pass. You can purchase it at the airport and at almost any Metro, RER, or Transilien train ticket window that normally sells tickets and passes in Paris. A Photo-- (3cm x 2.5cm passport style photo needed), and this you can have done at a photo kiosk booth in the airport/Metro/Train stations or bring one with you, (no hats in picture). It includes Paris, suburbs, Chateau Versailles, Chateau Fontainebleau, Parc Disney, Airports (Except Orlyval). This is unlimited travel with an initial $5 Euro card cost and to load it for the week, it is $22.80/week. BUT, the pass is valid from Monday at 00:00 to Sunday 23:59:59. If you start it on Thursday, it is the same cost. To reload your card, you can do that as of the Friday prior to the next week. The cost of getting from CDG into Paris alone is worth the price of the pass. The card is yours and is good for 10 years, so you can reuse it (reload it) for any future trips. It is non-transferrable thou, as it is yours.

Posted by
3996 posts

A Navigo Découverte pass is another good option for transport, and
much less expensive than the Visite Pass which comes with the Paris
Pass and is heavily touted to tourists

The Navigo weekly expires on Sundays so if your week's stay in Paris has Sunday falling toward the middle of it, Navigo is a waste.

I'm planning a trip in November in which I arrive in Paris on a Thursday and stay until the following Tuesday. I have quickly learned that Navigo is not economical.

I plan to use the métro and bus quite a bit and am wondering if the carnet of 10 tickets will cause me to restrict my last-minute, flexible "let's go here" way of spending my day. To have to buy 10 more tickets and not use all of them to me is a waste. So the Visite Paris pass is something I'm considering. No small pieces of white paper; I'm accustomed to public transport via metrocard, Oyster Card, and Charlie Card. Touch and go or swipe and go. I have plenty of time to figure this out. What I do know is that unless one's trip is Monday to Sunday, the Navigo seems like a waste of money.

Posted by
5697 posts

@Continental, if you buy a carnet of 10 tickets and don't use them all, you can just save them for your next trip -- or give/sell them to a travelling friend. Paris Visite Pass for the number of days you will be in Paris would be very pricey.

Posted by
3996 posts

@Continental, if you buy a carnet of 10 tickets and don't use them
all, you can just save them for your next trip -- or give/sell them to
a travelling friend. Paris Visite Pass for the number of days you will
be in Paris would be very pricey.

Now you have me looking. 2 carnets of tickets (20) for €29.80 is cheaper than the €38.35 pass. Hmmmmm. Thanks, LauraB.

Posted by
6498 posts

And it gets better, Continental! Just one carnet is half that price, and you can get another if and when you need it. Or, if your visit is almost over, just buy individual tickets for a little more.

Posted by
15802 posts

I'm a big fan of the carnets of BIT tickets. As we did so much walking in Paris, just one carnet split between us lasted the entire week! I guess it depends on how much hoofing one wants to do and when you arrive/depart the city but even a couple of shared carnets can be cheaper than passes.

Posted by
8045 posts

If you arrive Thursday at CDG use the ND to get into town (those tickets are 10.30 and then use it over the weekend Fri-Sun as you tour Paris and especially if you go to Versailles or other site out of town then it will have paid for itself. There are few circumstances especially if the airport trip is involved that an ND is not a good choice. For Mon and Tuesday get a carnet of local tickets for 14.90 and share them with travel partners. I think you can now charge the ND for one day but it is probably not economical if you aren't doing a lot of metro/bus travel on that one day. It has the same pricing as the Mobilis so would be 17.80 for all 5 zones, I believe it does cover the airport though unlike the Mobilis. For local travel it is 7.50 like the Mobilis. But if you will only take a couple of trips then the carnet of ordinary tickets shared is the way to go.

Posted by
3996 posts

Jane, I don't know if the above advice were tailored to me but if so, I have questions. What is ND? I'm traveling on my own (no travel partners) and will not be going to Versailles. The plan this far out is to arrive Thurs morning, take the RERB and walk to my hotel, and then use public transport the rest of the day, public transport in Paris Friday, to/from train station on Saturday for my day trip unless my hotel is close enough that I can walk, take public transport Sunday and Monday in Paris like Friday, and then take the RERB to CDG early Tues morning. What is Mobilis? Would I benefit from it?

Dick, you're right. I was assuming I would need two carnet books but of course I can buy one at a time.

My day trip via rail will center on a grand Gothic cathedral. I've been to Chartres once before in 2002 but there's no reason I would not return to see those stained-glass windows again. I'm also considering Amiens, Rouen and Reims so far.

Then there is the Museum Pass. I'm thinking of a 2 day pass for Sunday and Monday. That leaves me planning what to do on Friday that doesn't require a Museum Pass -- outdoor markets, revisiting Notre Dame, open for ideas. I've been to the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe.

Posted by
5697 posts

ND=Navigo Decouverte (Monday to Sunday pass) covering zones 1-5, which includes CDG airport and Versailles.