Please sign in to post.

Paris museum pass

Is this pass not available to purchase online for a digital pass?

Is the only way to purchase thru the Paris tourist office for either delivery to my home ($$$), deliver to my hotel ($$) or pick up at tourist office on Rue de Rivoli?

How does this affect making required reservations ahead of time.

I searched RS forum but everything I find is pre pandemic

Posted by
160 posts

Buy it at the airport or in town at many locations. See website. When you make reservations there will be a no charge option for holders of the museum pass. And the pass is activated and the timing starts the first time you use it.

Posted by
531 posts

Thanks…so I can make reservations now even though I don’t have the pass yet…correct?

Posted by
13934 posts

Make sure this is a worthwhile purchase for you. I used to always get it before 2019 but it’s lost some of it’s value in my opinion. Part of that is that I like multiple trips to the Louvre which most people won’t do, lol.

You can also buy it locally at many Tabacs...there may be one near your hotel. This is a shop that sells tobacco products as well as Metro tickets, Museum passes and maybe lottery tickets?

The smaller museums are not real busy now so it will be very easy to buy there as well.

Posted by
818 posts

I bought mine at the Pantheon in Paris with limited waiting.

I also reserved my slots in advance at the Louvre and Versailles (there are specific tickets online for PMP holders) without the actual PMP number.

Posted by
1369 posts

If you are flying into CDG, the ticket/pass is sold just outside the baggage claim area. The booths are a red to dark maroon color.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
274 posts

We’re headed to France next week and will be in Paris in early December, so I was trying to sort through the reservation process as well. I responded to this post with a list of which, of the museums we plan to visit, require and allow you to make reservations online. It might be helpful for you as well, but keep in mind it’s not comprehensive. (We’ve been to Paris several times before, so we’ll skip the Louvre and Versailles château on this trip.)

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/paris-museum-pass-what-places-require-reservations

Posted by
84 posts

@Chris - This is a response I got to my question regarding buying PMP ahead of time and getting them delivered to the USA.
Now we plan to buy them on arrival. We were able to reserve the time slots. Hope it helps.

"Just FYI, I plan on purchasing the pass when I get there, but so far I’ve had no issues reserving time slots for the museums I want to visit for free, without having possession of the pass. You basically purchase a free ticket, and are given a QR code for your reserve a time slot, and then have to present the museum pass when you go on that day. The only one that asked me for the pass number was the Louvre, and I just typed in my phone number, which doesn’t appear anywhere on my reservation information as far as I can see. Just in case that was the reason you wanted to get the pass ahead of time. I consider doing that but didn’t want to risk not getting it in time, and also it was like kind of a lot for shipping. But once I started making the reservations it was easy."

Posted by
198 posts

As mentioned previously by others, I used to ALWAYS get the museum pass - was silly not to! But last time in Paris, right before Covid, it didn't seem to be cost effective anymore, especially given we can make reservations online directly, I am heading back in march/April 2022, and do not plan on getting the pass. I'll book my tickets online direct.

Glenn

Posted by
201 posts

Question for those who have recently used the PMP –– does it still provide you the ability to “skip the line” (even when reservation required), as in for instance the D’Orsay had one line for those wishing to buy tickets upon arrival and those who held the pass or tickets purchased online. Does that still work the same way?

As for deciding if the pass is worth it, when I plan a trip, I map out everything I want to do, see what is on my itinerary that is included with the pass, add up the entrance fees and if the pass is less than the total of the entrance fees, I buy the pass.

If the cost makes sense to your plans, having the pass is nice as well because you can decide on the fly to visit a place you might not have planned to (and perhaps might not want to spend the euro for otherwise).

I have never purchased the pass online, opting instead, once in Paris, to pop into the nearest small (not busy) attraction that sells it.

Posted by
818 posts

So things are different b/c of Covid - many museums are REQUIRING booking online - even free ones, like the Carnavalet.

So, I booked the Louvre, Versailles, St Chapelle, and Conciergerie online, in advance, and yes, was in the regular 'i have a ticket' line.

When I went to Orsay and Rodin, I did not need to book in advance for either - neither were busy enough to warrant a real line (I did the Orsay during their Thursday pm later hours), but I did go into both in the 'have a ticket' line.

Not sure what will happen if Covid protocols go away.

Posted by
13934 posts

In Sept I did the Louvre (with a timed reservation) and Rodin using the Museum Pass. Louvre you are in the same "I have a ticket" line. Rodin was not busy so there was no line except where people were briefly stopped in a tent to get their Pass Sanitaire scanned.

A few days later I did the Orsay without the Museum Pass. I'd gone ahead and booked a timed entry and there was no line on either the "I have a ticket" side OR the purchase a ticket side. In contrast to pre-Covid, it would have been easy to purchase the Museum Pass there as well as at Rodin.

Posted by
1481 posts

@Pam or others,

How many weeks/months ahead would you recommend making online timed reservations?

Posted by
818 posts

depends on when you're going. if it will be in the next few months, before spring, I would say the night before, maybe up to a week in advance.
but if you're going in the spring or later, then as far in advance as the slots open.