Please sign in to post.

Normandy Tours

Will be in Normandy in July and we would like to book a DDay tour. Any suggestions on tours? And do you recommend booking the tour prior to arriving or will booking the day before be ok?

Posted by
1806 posts

Are you looking for a group bus tour or a private tour? A 2 day tour, 1 day tour or a half day tour? Are you going to be staying somewhere in Normandy (Bayeux? Caen?) or coming in from Paris for just a day? Are you interested in the American Sector or the British/Canadian sector? You need to provide some additional information to get a better answer. All of the tours are very popular and July is a busy month. I would book in advance especially if you need to go on a specific day.

Posted by
565 posts

I took a half-day tour, even as a huge history buff, because my time was rather limited in Bayeux and I wanted to also see the Battle of Normandy Museum and the tapestry. If you are already in Bayeux the day of your tour, booking a half-day morning tour from 9-1 or so shouldn't be a huge issue, albeit I went in April instead of July. The half-day tour in the afternoon fills up much quicker as the day-trippers from Paris come in for those.

Posted by
16893 posts

Two months ago, you asked about Normandy hotels for a two-night stay and also said you'd be driving. Did you book a hotel and do you still have the car planned? Do you have Rick's guidebook or another one for this region? He provides a good overview and recommends several tour operators. If you decide to drive yourselves, you can fill in a lot of the background at the museums in Caen, Bayeux, and Arromanches.

See also these recent threads: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/normandy-tours

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/d-day-self-guided-or-guided-tour

Posted by
32213 posts

carmen,

I would highly recommend booking the tour as soon as you have your dates locked down. July will be BUSY and it may already be too late. Do you have any particular tours in mind?