Please sign in to post.

International drivers permit

I did try to look up this subject in the France forum but all the relevant articles seem to be dated 4+ years ago. I know there have been more recent posts but I could not find them. So… We will be driving between Paris and the Dordogne + around the Dordogne + the Loire + Fontainebleau. I just checked with AAA. $29 per person for photo + permit. So $58 for myself and my husband. Not that $58 would change my future one way or another but I'd rather spend $58 on a nice meal in France. Plus it is one more thing to do before we leave. I'm wondering how necessary this actually is. Many, many years ago Rick addressed this issue in his travel guides but I haven't seen any references to the permit in a few years. I was thinking that if it was required, Rick would've mentioned it as he is very thorough. Any thoughts or updates on this would be very much appreciated.

Posted by
855 posts

https://franceintheus.org/spip.php?article376

IF YOU ARE ON A SHORT VISIT OR SHORT BUSINESS TRIP (LESS THAN 90 DAYS)

You may drive with a valid U.S. driver’s license if it is accompanied by a notarized translation in French. It is strongly recommended that you carry an International Driving Permit. You must be 18 years of age or older to drive in France. (

Posted by
222 posts

I have taken an IDP with me every time I have driven in Europe. It is very cheap insurance. While I have not been stopped in France, I have been in Italy, Spain and Portugal. In each case it was in an obscure back road location. The local officers, in each case were young and spoke no English. After providing my license and permit, along with our insurance we were on our way. Why take a chance or expect that they will know what a valid license looks like from your jurisdiction.

Posted by
6104 posts

It’s required by law
The rental agencies are asking for it (at least in Italy)
$58 peace of mind

Not having it might void your insurance

Posted by
6104 posts

$29 person according to OP
We pay $20 and photos are free if you are a member

Bob (above) would disagree that it is “useless”

Posted by
612 posts

Thanks everyone! I've never been asked. Once we were stopped while driving in France. They were not at all interested in our international permit. Couldn't have cared less. Just wanted our drivers license.
I realize that that does not, however guarantee future behavior by the French police. So we will probably just spend the $58 and carry the permits with us when driving.
Kerouac: the god-awful place is AAA in California. Guess California is not 1 of these enlightened states. My license looks the same as it has worked for multiple years.
More difficult for me is carrying my passport around, particularly walking around Paris. I know to put it in my money belt as does my husband. But both of us are heavier now than we were years ago and so, lo and behold, the jeans fit more snugly. Hence, discomfort. Also not crazy about the idea of possibly losing it. I've not carried it walking around on previous trips and I'm thinking maybe I'll take the chance with just my California drivers license (unenlightened as it may be) and a photocopy of my passport. It would be a shame to waste part of the day having to go back to our apartment accompanied by the police but I think I would worry less about that than about losing my passport.

Posted by
7685 posts

I acquired an IDP through AAA once. I have driven in the UK and never get one since you don't need one there.

It is a royal pain in the butt to get one for me, since AAA doesn't have an office within 80 miles of here.

Posted by
4412 posts

If money belts are an issue, consider a shoulder bag that hugs your body. I had one in Paris and it was great, put what little you need for your day into it and keep it in front of you. Much easier than a backpack. There are dozens of them available on the intergoogles.

Posted by
1140 posts

kerouac2 is right (as usual), AAA is ripping people off.

And ChristineH is wrong, it is not required by law.

I have never carried an IDL, and I have never heard from anyone one this forum or elsewhere that has had a hassle in France of any kind because they didn't have one. NEVER, not one! Out of curiosity, I looked at my U.S. license (RI). In fact, it is numbered according to international protocol as kerouac2 stated. Why would AAA offer a translation of an official document that doesn't also duplicate that document's expiration date? Because they are ripping you off and want to rip you off every year.

caveat emptor.

Posted by
6104 posts

Perhaps not REQUIRED by law but strongly recommended.

https://fr.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/acs_driving-2018.pdf

If you are a temporary visitor to France (less than 90 days,) you may
drive with a valid U.S. driver's license during this period only. In
addition to having your U.S. driver's license, visitors must carry an
International Driving Permit or attach a French translation to their
U.S. driver's license.

https://franceintheus.org/spip.php?article376

IF YOU ARE ON A SHORT VISIT OR SHORT BUSINESS TRIP (LESS THAN 90 DAYS)

You may drive with a valid U.S. driver’s license if it is accompanied
by a notarized translation in French
. It is strongly recommended that
you carry an International Driving Permit.
You must be 18 years of age
or older to drive in France. (More information may be found here).

Posted by
23 posts

So, to this question, my husband and I almost went without one because of what we read here on the forum. However, I went through an official French website and found information regarding necessity of an official translation absent an international license. So, in the end, we got one the day before leaving. So glad we did too as I was stopped by a police for turning right on red (on a traffic light I didn't even see as it was a little traffic light). We were very lucky we had the international license for we were asked for it. We would have been fined except that the traffic police (they were - it turned out - right behind us) did not have a machine to fine us right on the spot. I think it worked in our favor too that we were Americans and they seemed favorably inclined to us (first thing they asked us was "Americans?"). Anyhow, I think it is a good insurance to have it. This is for our March 2022 trip.

Posted by
11193 posts

But not a single person, ever has posted a negative experience or trouble they had because they didn't have an IDL(sic) in France.

Probably because they do want to admit to being idiots in not having one, when it is clear the law requires it.

Posted by
612 posts

Thanks for the invitation, Nigel. Sat is a work day for me so I probably will not be able to join the meeting. But I will go to the site to see what time it starts. It sounds very interesting.
Thanks for your posting, Jaczxy. I had pretty much decided to get an IDP as my husband's peace of mind makes this worthwhile for me. After reading your post I now feel it will contribute to my peace of mind as well!
And thanks again to one and all. This forum is the best source of information on France and, indeed the rest of Europe as well as various airports used for getting there that I have found lo these many years.