Please sign in to post.

Giverny in October

We will be in Paris Oct 19-23-and although we've been to Paris several times in the past (for Christmas seasons) we have not made it to Giverny. I keep thinking it might be too late to see the gardens....am I right? What would it be like there so late in the fall? I would hope we will return to Paris in the spring some day but you never know. Thanks!

Posted by
8293 posts

The website says the house closes Nov, 1.

Posted by
3698 posts

In October the flowers are Dahlias and any annuals if there has not been a frost. It's still interesting to walk around and it is was less crowded and you can see the structure/bones of the garden better but it is not exactly the blooming paradise that it is in July. I love gardens so I would go but to each his or her own. Depending on the weather, the annuals can be wonderful but if you are going to see roses and peonies, they will be absolutely done blooming. Here is a thread that discussed a fall visit a few years ago: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/to-the-west/giverny-in-late-october

Posted by
784 posts

When I was there in October several years ago, what impressed me was the light in the pond area. I got some great pictures. The fall sunlight coming in at a lower angle than in summer made it look way it must have when Monet painted some of his water lily canvases.

Posted by
150 posts

Thanks all for your input, I think we will play it by ear, I have mixed feelings.

Posted by
150 posts

Does anyone have other suggestions for a possible day trip other than Giverny? We have been to Versailles. I realize there a lot of options.
Colmar looks so lovely but is it worth a 2 plus hour train ride for such a short visit?

Posted by
1369 posts

Chateau Fontainebleau, Chantilly, Moret-sur-Loing for a day trip or even the Champagne region. I did Colmar last year, and spent the night, but we were able to see everything during the day. We arrived around 11 a.m. and the train ride out was nice, plenty of small towns & green fields/hills. I visited Giverny the second week of October in 2014. Plenty of flowers in bloom, many water lilies in bloom, it was a partly cloudy day. I got great pictures from the garden & pond.
Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
8293 posts

Chateau Malmaison, Empress Josephine's favourite abode, can be reached by metro and then bus, from Paris. Google for further details.

Posted by
2030 posts

Other day trips I recommend: the world heritage sites of Chartres Cathedral, the medieval city of Provins, and the Loire Valley.
You can do a tour of the Loire if you don't want to drive. I took their Loire and Provins tours and liked them a lot.
Also, Basilica St. Denis, not really a day trip, it's located on outskirts of Paris, it takes a little more time to get there than the centrally located sites, but well worth seeing.

Posted by
2030 posts

Other day trips I recommend: the world heritage sites of Chartres Cathedral, the medieval city of Provins, and the Loire Valley.
You can do a tour of the Loire if you don't want to drive. I took their Loire and Provins tours and liked them a lot.
Also, Basilica St. Denis, not really a day trip, it's located on outskirts of Paris, it takes a little more time to get there than the centrally located sites, but well worth seeing.

Posted by
129 posts

Aside from Monet's home and garden one can visit the American museum of Impressionists and, walk along the road to the small graveyard where Monet is buried. There are charming artisan shops along the way and a couple of good places to eat. Near the chapel at the graveyard is a touching memorial to some British pilots who crashed and died there during WW2. One of my favorite parts of Monet's garden was the bamboo grove. Sitting on the bench listening to the wind blow through the bamboo was incredible and helped me appreciate how Monet appreciated sounds more as his vision diminished. Others have made great suggestions for day trips as well so really up to your interests. If you have time and energy, consider taking the train from Vernon to Rouen for balance of day. Love Paris and area in October - enjoy!

Posted by
796 posts

I have only been to Giverny once, last fall about October 24th. The fall colours in the leaves added to the beauty. Many flowers were in bloom. It was fabulous.

Posted by
150 posts

Thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions. I wish we had more time, we can only manage one day trip, but it just means we will have to come back!

Posted by
129 posts

Further to Barbara's comment re Jane's contribution, good a time as any to say thanks to those who share views, tips and such valuable links. In particular, when I see "janettravels" postings I take note.

I've been working my way through the sites recommended in Sim's book "An Hour from Paris" which has been such fun - interesting and relatively easy even for one who often travels solo. Thanks everyone!