Please sign in to post.
Posted by
1582 posts

Yeah Jhilts, I read it too the other day and tourists will be required to complete this document before their trip to Europe in 2024. It's just more online paperwork for us travelers to do before heading to Europe. We just got to do it that's all ahead of time. It's another travel requirement system being put in place so European countries can make more money off Tourists from U.S and other countries.

Posted by
767 posts

It's a bargain compared to what Europeans have had to pay for ESTA entry to the USA since 2010

Posted by
5882 posts

There are other threads on this subject. It is not about making money primarily, it is all about border security, of knowing that people are who they say they are, stopping criminals and terrorists from travelling before they arrive at the border, and stopping people from immigrating by just staying for ever when they arrive.
The same as The Department for Homeland Security does for anyone from overseas travelling to the United States. They are pre-screening.
Many, many other countries round the world do the same thing.
7 Euros will barely cover the cost of administration.

This is not a France thing. It is for the whole of 'Europe'- and the several definitions of 'Europe' are well rehearsed on other threads.

Posted by
15122 posts

Be aware, there are numerous mistakes in the Cameron Hewitt article.

Posted by
14545 posts

Absolutely makes no difference, simply irrelevant, to my plans on going back to France and Europe next summer. The 7 Euros...not important. This issue has been tossed about for a number of years.

Posted by
1028 posts

Anyone visiting the USA has had to complete an ESTA for years now. It’s not a big deal if you have a clean criminal record. You do it online.

It can be a major problem if you have any type of minor criminal indiscretion (eg a friend got in trouble for being drunk in a football stadium as a young man). He had to go to the American Embassy in London in person to get approved. I don’t know how strict the European one will be.

Posted by
18037 posts

This is not a France thing. It is for the whole of 'Europe'

One of the more factually incorrect statements posted in the forum recently. A good indication that the forum is excellent at elevating important issues, but less effective at providing accurate information.

Posted by
8402 posts

Part of me is already tired of all the hoopla, multiple threads, etc. The other part of me realizes that when this actually is implemented, there will be posts on this forum complaining no one ever told them about this requirement and blaming others for ruining their vacation.

Posted by
5882 posts

Perhaps Mister E would like to specify what is so factually incorrect. ETIAS is an acronym for European Travel Information and Authorisation System.

The clue is in the title.

The word Europe was in quotes quite deliberately because there has been at least one thread, maybe two, where we have got tied up in knots about exactly what constitutes Europe for various purposes, including ETIAS. And the differences between Europe and Schengen.

The idea was to avoid going down the same rabbit hole again, and be succinct.

No one country is driving the scheme, indeed the rumour is that France has leant on the other countries to have another delay, to avoid disrupting travel to the Olympics. The lack of information and a firm start date is deafening so far.

Posted by
4428 posts

Here's an idea - if you're going to Europe next year, just do it. If you can't afford the 7 euros you shouldn't be going to Europe. And if you have the thing, it's virtually guaranteed no one will ever ask about it.

At the risk of starting another flame war, this is like the IDP. Do the cost/benefit/risk analysis and make your own call.