I've been reading all the posts on the rapidly evolving situation regarding Omicron and entry into France and just wanted to the community's thoughts. We will be spending Christmas in Pennsylvania as part of the mid-way stop (we are coming from the west coast) to get to France and, to be blunt, I will not be able to control the number of people I'm in contact with as my husband's family has planned a large get-together on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (approx. 20 additional people besides us). I believe most--maybe all--are vaccinated and some have their boosters but I'm not 100% sure but those of us in my immediate family all have our boosters.
I had proposed having everyone take a rapid antigen test prior to the get together but that didn't go over well and most people where my husband's family lives don't mask. Not sure about the vaccination rate there either though the positivity rate is currently at 14%. Even if those of us continuing on to France skip Christmas Eve, my husband's family is coming over to my mother-in-law's house, where we will be staying, on Christmas day and I obviously can't stop that. My worry is that we then go to JFK the next day to catch a flight and test positive for COVID. Probably not likely but of course, you never know. That would mean losing money on hotels and possibly airfare and then spending more money for a hotel in NY to quarantine.
I keep going back and forth on all this with various arguments (ie: no risk, no reward vs this is just too much of a risk and not very smart, etc.) I don't know if anyone else is in the same predicament as we are but I'd be happy to hear your thoughts or suggestions for a workaround. Yes, we could postpone our trip but I've been postponing traveling and who knows, if we postpone til summer, some new variant could pop up yet again.