Please sign in to post.

Paris in two days

My wife wants to visit Paris on our way to Barcelona but we only have two days to stay. Does any one have any suggestions on where to go and where to stay for a short time? I believe we will be flying in and out by Orly.

Paul K.
Gilbert, AZ

Posted by
2081 posts

Welcome Paul,

All you will get is a really quick taste of PARIS.

you need to figure out what floats your boat and make a few of those your priorities. Or if you care to share what floats your boat, others my chime in and tell you what what you want.

if it was me, i would skip Paris and add those 2 days to Spain and leave Paris for another time.

Happy trails.

Posted by
6898 posts

2 days is not worth it in Paris. A hop on/hop off bus tour, a walk down the Champs Elysees, a quick visit to a museum. Views of the Eifel tower and maybe Notre Dame. This is about all you will get. Save Paris for a longer visit. Invest a couple of more days in Barcelona or a nice day trip out of Barcelona. Paris really needs to be the foundation of a longer well-planned visit.

Posted by
9420 posts

Do you really have 2 full days (ie, 3 nights)? While only 2 days in Paris is not enough, I still think 2 days is better than no days. It will give you a taste, as Ray said, and may motivate you to return to really do it justice.

For only two days, I would stay on Ile St. Louis, my favorite neighborhood, surrounded by the river and amazing views, at either Hotel St. Louis en l'Isle, Hotel de Lutece or Hotel des Deux Iles. I'd walk from there all around the island, the island next to it where Notre Dame is, then along the river as far as you'd like, then back along the other side of the river. I'd spend time at my favorite outdoor cafe in Paris, on Ile St. Louis (La Flore en l'Ile) by the pedestrian bridge, people watching and enjoying just being in Paris. Then, I'd spend time in the Luxembourg Gardens.

I like the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus and would recommend that as well. I'd go inside Notre Dame, climb to the top (get there at 8:45 am) of ND, go see the Eiffel Tower but not necessarily go up (or do, but walk the stairs and only go to the 1st level - to save time). Climb to the top of the Arc de Triomphe but not walk down the Champs-Elysee (hate it). Then, a boat ride on the Seine at night. Those are my recs for just two days... :)

Posted by
2128 posts

Do it! Identify 2 or 3 things you want to do, maybe the Eiffel Tower, Seine boat ride, and a couple of hours at the Louvre. You have time to enjoy a few nice meals and a drink or two at a sidewalk cafe. Paris is lovely and I wouldn't miss any opportunity for a visit, even a short one. The Rick Steves Paris guidebook has hotel recommendations.

Posted by
7029 posts

I agree that if you plan it well and don't have to travel too far from your hotel you can see and do quite a bit in two days. If you're lucky and get good weather it will be even better. We had only 2 days my first time there and we went to the second level of Eiffel Tower (which is worth it in my opinion) by going about 1/2 hour before opening and climbing the stairs to avoid the long lines for the elevators; spent 3 hours in the Louvre (not much but a taste of the 'biggies'); went to the Marmottan museum, the Rodin museum, walked through Montmartre and visited Sacre Coeur, went through Notre Dame, took a Seine cruise (in the evening with all the monuments lighted), had two very nice dinners in local cafes (off the beaten tourist path), and strolled the Luxembourg gardens. It was just a taste but definitely whetted my appetite for more.

Posted by
10221 posts

As Susan so eloquently put it, two days in Paris is better than no days in Paris! Planning wisely will be important. Prioritize what you want to see and then just do your best. My prediction is that it will just whet your appetite for more and after you leave you will begin planning for when you can come back!

Posted by
833 posts

I agree with some of the others, don't let others dissuade you that 2 days is not enough. It may not be a lot, but if it's important to you, do it!! I am doing something that is a bit taboo (especially to this crowd), but on my way to London in May I am staying in Paris for about 24 hours. Is that enough time to see the city? No way. But I haven't been and instead of taking the Eurostar directly to London (we're coming from Lucerne), we want to see a tiny bit of Paris. It may not be as relaxing as a longer stay, but it is doable and no one is going to tell me not to do it ;)

Donna's advice is great. Prioritize a few things you must see. Then choose a few other things that you can visit if you feel up for it/have time. I think you'll have a great time.