Please sign in to post.
Posted by
1226 posts

Fatamorgana. This is coming from someone who traveled through France, Italy and Amsterdam for 5 weeks eating gelato EVERY day (in my defense, I was with three kids). And from someone who has studied ice-cream making and made a lot of it myself (not proud, it was just an obsession for about a year). The second best gelato on the whole trip was Fatamorgana. The best was a place in Amsterdam called De Lepel, which has since gone out of business :( The owner tho was from Rome, and when we told him that his was better than Fatamorgana, he knew the owner of it :)

Posted by
215 posts

Jessica no issues with your love for gelato!! Kids or not!! Thank you jotting this one down!

Posted by
1226 posts

Oh no! Somehow the romance just went poof. No offense to CA (Im a native) but the idea is to discover something somewhere adventurous, not in my backyard.

Posted by
1188 posts

Plenty of good ones, but one of the best was one Laurel recommended some years ago--Come il Latte. A bit out of the way, but very much worth it!

Posted by
11316 posts

Oh, Eric, you remembered! Come Il Latte is the standard by which I judge all others. I miss it!

In addition to great gelato, you get to a part of the city seldom trampled by tourists and yet it is not inconvenient to Via Veneto.

Posted by
328 posts

I'll also give a shout out for Come il Latte! Drippy and divine!!

Posted by
2458 posts

This topic comes up a lot and it has me thinking about the difference between a great example of a particular dish versus a great dining experience -- to me the gelato in Buenos Aires is better in and of itself than that in Rome or San Francisco, but my most cherished ice-cream dining experiences have actually been in southern France and in the mid-Atlantic states, like the Maryland shore or at dairies in Pennsylvania.

So -- are we really after the best gelato qua gelato to be found in Rome, or are we after the best gelateria or dining experience involving gelato?

Posted by
42 posts

Old Bridge Gelateria across from the Vatican Museums was amazing. We had the special - a Sicilian masterpiece with pistachios and lemon. So good we returned again next day.

Viale dei Bastioni di Michelangelo, 5, 00192 Roma RM, Italy

Posted by
82 posts

If you're a foodie, you should take the "Eating Europe" food tour in Rome. They are wonderful and offer different options for tours. We did the "Taste of Testaccio" 3 years ago and will be doing it again in Sept. Great opportunity to try different foods and a fun day! You will definitely not leave hungry. The site is: EatingEurope.com Have fun!

Posted by
322 posts

I’ll second Lynn’s suggestion of Old Bridge and especially of the Profumo di Sicilia gelato. I’m still trying to duplicate it...or even come close! They have another shop in Trastevere as well.

Posted by
32752 posts

so, ownedby3, now that you are back which is best?