Please sign in to post.

dining in Paris

We'll be returning to France for a second visit in September... as I recall, last time we ate dinner exclusively at various restaurants. Not that I'm complaining, but this time we're thinking of eating lighter most evenings. I don't recall whether shops are open evenings for take out food and drink. Can one get take out pizza? Any ideas about this?

Michael

Posted by
16893 posts

You'll have no problem finding options. There is plenty of faster food, such as take-away crepes or falafel. Many delis/charcuteries/bakeries/supermarkets sell prepared salads, sandwiches, quiches and tarts, and would be open until about 7 p.m.

Posted by
78 posts

We stayed in Paris for 10 days during our five weeks in France last September. We only ate dinner in a restaurant in the evening once (when we met French friends). Other evenings we ate food purchased in the local markets. Although we stayed in an apartment, we never cooked, but we did use the refrigerator for storing "left-overs". We ate our big meal each day at lunch. Many evenings we ate bread, cheese, sausages, and fruit from the local markets and stores. A few evenings we chose prepared meals from the local grocery. One that we recommend is the Monoprix in the Passy Plaza shopping mall in the 16th. They had many prepared hot and cold choices. I assume other Monoprix stores or other large grocery stores would have similar choices.

Posted by
19 posts

thanks for the replies, Laura and Bonnie! I figured there must be options available, just never noticed them last time.

Posted by
703 posts

Glad to hear Monoprix has some choices & hope that the one near us (Luxembourg Garden area) has the same. Thanks.

Posted by
11294 posts

Right near the Odeon metro, at 97 Boulevard St. Germain there's a place with very long hours selling sandwiches, small pizzas, and the like. It was there in 1989 on my first trip, and it's still there now; here's the image on Google Maps: http://tinyurl.com/lmtedal. The official name is Snack Time, but we always called it "le Pit Stop" because that's how we thought of it - a place to get something light when we weren't up for a full meal, or when we were hungry between lunch and dinner and "real restaurants" were closed. There are actually many such places, particularly in areas with lots of nightlife.

Posted by
50 posts

There were several take away pizza places in the 7th. look for the word "Emportier" on the sign. The one listed in Rick Steves book is very good and there is another one next door.

Posted by
19 posts

thanks, everyone, for your replies. One forgets about all the wonderful markets and shops - and we just returned from as camping trip in Oregon, which reminded me just how little you need to eat while on vacay... so I'm going to get the thought into my fat head - "stop worrying about food!" cheers, and happy travels. mk

Posted by
19 posts

thank you, Noa - that is certainly an interesting option that we will consider! Cheers. mk