Please sign in to post.

Clothing

What are some clothing tips for travel to England, France and Italy in summer? Can you wear shorts in summer?

Posted by
470 posts

Just be mindful of any expected appropriateness of covered shoulders or knees in churches throughout those countries. I'm sure others will be able to be more specific.

Posted by
33164 posts

winter and spring are not done yet in England. Frost yesterday, hail the day before. I put on summer white trousers this week out of spite to the weather, but have a thick flannel shirt and a fleece jacket on. The house heat is back on again.

Wear shorts if you like - my post lady does but she does it, like many posties, by the calendar not the weather.

If you want shorts, you might wait until it warms up - and dries up - if it ever does this year.

Posted by
565 posts

Just be mindful of any expected appropriateness of covered shoulders or knees in churches throughout those countries. I'm sure others will be able to be more specific.

In England, no one minds what you wear in a church, or indeed anywhere.

So far it’s been nowhere near warm enough to wear shorts but there are some theories that we might get a really hot spell later.

Posted by
564 posts

In England right now. I'm a person who loves to wear shorts, but I'm not inclined to do so in the foreseeable future; in London, highs are in the low 60s F.

Posted by
5375 posts

So far it’s been nowhere near warm enough to wear shorts

It's mid June so I refuse to wear anything but shorts however it's not been too bad down on the south coast, I've been able to sit outside and enjoy the garden in the sun although arriving back in London from Mallorca a week ago was a shock to the system.

Can you wear shorts in summer?

You can wear shorts wherever you want in Europe. Ignore the myth that people in Europe don't wear shorts, I don't know where that originated from.

Posted by
413 posts

I am in England now. Feels like late March in my home state if Tennessee. And i’ve been in England in July and August when it’s been hot. My advice re clothes to take to England in the summer:
1. Always take rain gear and hope you fon’t need it
2. Check weather forecast a week before leaving US to get an idea of expected temps when you’re in England.

Posted by
1142 posts

For England, always take waterproofs and lots of layers. Fleece is good. It’s not guaranteed to be warm and dry at all.

Posted by
6888 posts

I think Duluth should just attach itself to the UK as our weather here sounds like yours. Cold, wet, windy and definitely not summer weather. I turned my heat on as well, Nigel.

Posted by
161 posts

We’ve worn jeans, tees and fleece jacket/hoodie jackets this week in London, Brighton and Rochester. Cold with the wind, and some rain. Then, feels warm inside museums. Glimpses of sun, then blue skies today. Jackets on/off, on/off, etc.

Feels like every season at least 3x a day this past week in London.

Pack layers!! I have a pair of shorts still packed in my suitcase :)

Posted by
4063 posts

The, notorious surprises of British weather do not go away in the summer months. This is the land of the umbrella (although not so much of the air conditioner.) Lightweight layers will make you flexible. with protection from showers. especially a hat and footwear, always in the back of your mind. Ditto for the other countries except probably the temperatures could be higher and the precipitation lower.

Posted by
6537 posts

Rather like Duluth, up in the Cascades in WA state they are having a very unseasonably cold summer at the moment, with still lying snow in some places at road level where they really shouldn't be any in June, from what I saw yesterday on Tik Tok.
Jokes there about putting the Christmas trees back up!!

Posted by
41 posts

Unless the forecast promises wall-to-wall sunshine, always carry a lightweight, breathable waterproof jacket which includes a hood. It'll help keep you warm if there's a cold wind even if it doesn't rain.