Please sign in to post.

British Airways cancellations?

I have a British Airways reservations for roundtrip, non-stop flight from Nashville to London (May 20 through May 29). I bought this flight back in November with my Chase Sapphire Preferred card through Chase's travel bookings page. I now see that BA is offering anyone a travel voucher to cancel travel before May 31st. This voucher is good for one year.

My questions are:

Should I just take the voucher and be grateful that I'm not losing everything here?

Or should I wait since they might cancel the flight in which case I could get money back and not have to deal with a voucher?

Thanks for any insights here!

Posted by
6387 posts

Don't take the voucher yet. Hold out for a refund while monitoring the state of the covid-19 situation in London up to to two weeks before your departure. I don't think BA would wait that close to the date to cancel the flight. If a vaccine comes available on the market and you think you can get vaccinated take the voucher and push the trip back to later date if you really need to go there

Posted by
98 posts

We have a similar situation. I wanted to cancel our flights last week just to not have to think about it anymore but am waiting until closer to our flight, in the hope that BA will cancel our flight and refund our money. However, if everyone's thinking as you and I are, BA would be less likely to cancel because its flights will appear full even though many (or most?) of us are not planning to use our tickets anymore.

If you take the voucher, how likely are you to use it before May 20, 2021? In our case, there is almost zero chance we will travel to the UK before our voucher would expire. The 12-month timeframe just doesn't work out for us. 18-24 months would probably work, but not 12 months.

I am leaning toward cancelling closer to our departure. At least some of the taxes and fees should be refunded then.

Good luck making your decision!

Posted by
6387 posts

BA might have to cancel if its personnel are sick or the people running the airport are sick.
For example at Midway Airport in Chicago yesterday some air traffic controllers were infected requiring that one of the air traffic towers to be closed for cleaning and hundreds of flights to and from to be canceled.

Posted by
8490 posts

My BA flight on 4/15 was canceled today. They offered either a change or a complete refund. I'm going to take the refund and try again in July.

You are over two months away......wait.

Posted by
3931 posts

We're not taking the voucher yet. We're waiting to see what happens with our RS tour, then if it's cancelled we have some decisions to make. If our May tour is cancelled, we may grab one of the empty slots on the July, August, or September iterations. But we need to wait at least until we rebook the tour before we decide what to do with our flights.

Still hoping our tour is a go..... Knowing it probably won't be....

Posted by
3931 posts

If we don't travel again until 2021, it will probably be in September or October, which means the voucher won't help. So if we don't go to Europe this year, we'll need to wait for them to cancel the flight so we can have a refund.

It's getting complicated out there.

Posted by
2903 posts

I’d wait a bit. Here is the current procedure for Chase Travel Portal cancellations. They don’t want to talk to you in person unless your flight is in 72 hours. If it is at least a week until your flight, there is a cancellation form you fill out on their website. They promise to get back to you in about 7 days, and will not go ahead with the cancellation without talking to you first if anything less than a full refund is offered by airlines. I waited until 10 days out and 2 of my 4 legs had been cancelled by BA. I have 4 more days to wait for the seven days to be up. Waiting and watching.

Posted by
6536 posts

The procedure for change of flight dates or refund in full appears to be fairly simple if you booked the flight directly thru BA. We booked our flights to Berlin through Ovago.com, and we're supposed to leave this Saturday. After receiving no information and being unable to get Ovago on the phone, they finally started contacting us a couple of days ago.
Supposedly only Ovago can make the changes, and they state there are relatively few flights available for Fall at the extremely low fares we paid the end of last Summer.
If you made reservations with BA directly, hopefully you can get a better outcome or a flat cancellation if that's what you wish.

Posted by
669 posts

Frank II, our BA flight from San Diego to Milan, Italy, is April 13. We are hoping for a cancellation and refund, like yours. It would seem reasonable, especially since the EU now seems to be off-limits for 30 days.
Thanks for taking the time and sharing, this gives us hope.
Safe travels- whenever and wherever- in the future.

Posted by
625 posts

Wait. I was scheduled to leave for London on April 2nd. My flight just got cancelled tonight.
I read on a BA forum that very soon they will stop most international flight.
Once they cancelled your flight, your probably will have to call them to get a refund since online all they offer through manage my trip is the voucher.

Posted by
140 posts

My April 17th flight was just canceled today. I had been waiting for them to cancel so I Could then cance other reservations without any fees. I haven’t decided whether to take the Refund or the voucher yet.

Posted by
8490 posts

Take the refund. The voucer is only good for what you paid, not a new flight. With the money you might decide to take another airline. With the voucher, you have to use it on BA.

Posted by
11676 posts

Calling British Airways is not a good idea just now. A message on their website says not to call unless you are within 72 hours of the flight you want to change. This gives people with a more immediate need a chance to get through.

I suggest for good information on British Airways policies and procedures, you go to the Flyertalk British Airways forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/

Near the top you will see a "wiki" on coronavirus cancellations and refunds. You can read through the discussion without joining, or you can join if you want to ask a question.

Posted by
2903 posts

Did anyone actually read OP’s question? He clearly stated the reservation was made through Chase Travel Portal. That is where he must go. Calling BA would not work.

Posted by
669 posts

Our April 13 British Air flights were canceled today. We will patiently follow the process for the refund. The BC flights were booked with both money and Avios- hopefully both will be returned shortly.
Safe - and healthy- travels!

Posted by
1375 posts

EddieHaskell, if you're still waiting and wondering what to do about your BA flight, I received notice overnight that my May 11th flight was cancelled. I called BA and 47 minutes later have a full refund in process.

You can read more details here, but that's the main points.

Posted by
2586 posts

I had a trip scheduled to leave May 16th on Delta/Virgil Atlantic, it was just cancelled this week. Gave me an eCredit which is good until May 30, 2022.