Please sign in to post.

Bath accommodations

I’m planning on visiting Bath for the first time in September. How long would you plan on staying there? Any recommendations on lodging?
Thanks

Posted by
952 posts

Julie,

I hope you enjoy Bath. I have been there three times, most recently this December for the Christmas market. If you have the time Bath deserves at least 2 nights, ideally 3. When I booked in December, all of the RS recommended hotels were full. I stayed at Hotel Indigo (5 minutes from Bath Abbey and the Train Station). I really enjoyed my stay and when I come back to Bath, will stay here again. Here is the link to my review: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england-reviews/review-hotel-indigo-bath.

If you are looking at more of a B&B, check out the RS recommendations, just book early enough.

Posted by
15061 posts

How long to stay depends on your plans. Are you just visiting Bath or do you want to use it as a base for visiting the Cotswolds, Averbury, Stonehenge, and more?

I've been to Bath a few times. The place I liked best was the Premier Inn Bath City Centre. Walkable to everything.

If you are looking to take day tours out of Bath, consider Mad Max Tours

Posted by
10228 posts

We spent 4 nights in Bath in 2022 and I’m happy we spent that length of time. One day we did a Mad Max tour and I highly recommend them. In August I’m returning to Bath with my daughter. We only have 2 nights there and on the only full day we will take a Mad Max tour. Thankfully we should get there by noon on our arrival day so we can hopefully fit in a walking tour and a trip to the Roman Bath in our jet lagged state.

Posted by
464 posts

I have a 5 night reservation at Brocks guest house for this coming Aug. it was recommended in Rick’s guide book and good reviews on booking.com. I have not been here yet….but hopefully happy with it.

Posted by
4856 posts

At least 2 nights (and three would be better) if you just want to experience Bath itself. If you want to do day trips to Stonehenge, Avebury, Cotswolds, ect., Then a minimun of four nights and five would be better. We also suggest Brooks Guest House as you can walk to all the main points of interest from there. There is also a good place to eat nearby named The Scallop Shell.

Posted by
3770 posts

"How long would you plan on staying there?"
Three nights if not doing a day trip from there.
Four nights if you are planning on doing a day trip from there.

Your days will be full with plenty to do.
You'll want to go to the Roman Baths and see Bath Abbey.
You'll want to go for walks around town and perhaps take the open top bus tour around Bath, with its second route up into the hills past the American Museum.
Lots of good restaurants and shops in Bath.
We love Bath and keep returning.

All the hotels mentioned in the above posts are great.
You can't go wrong staying at any of the ones already named.
We especially liked the breakfast at Brooks Guesthouse.
There was a buffet table with juice, cereals, croissants, baked goods, fruit and more, but you also received a cooked breakfast of whatever you wanted in addition to that--omelet, eggs benedict, avocado on toast, etc.

Another recommendation here for the Scallop Shell.
Make reservations; it's very popular.

Posted by
73 posts

I don't know when you are going to Bath, but the Jane Austen festival is from Sep 13-22 this year, so try to get the lodging booked ASAP if your dates overlap.