Please sign in to post.

Tour, independent travel, or wait until 2023?

Before anyone was familiar with the word Covid, we were scheduled for a RS Tour fall 2020, and finally moving to a stage of life where we wanted to make annual trips to Europe. Instead, it’s been 4 years since our last vacation. We’re not getting any younger…I feel like the clock is ticking on our travel years. We had been planning to join a tour in Italy this fall. But reading reports of people testing positive and being stuck somewhere mid-tour is making me reconsider. I know there are hundreds of people who’ve been on tour this year and not tested positive, but I haven’t seen as many glowing reports as usual. The reports of mandatory quarantine and not being allowed to leave a hotel for 10 days in Italy definitely give me pause. Trying to decide whether to 1) continue as planned with tour sandwiched between individual travel (all within Italy)….the odds are still high that we wouldn’t test positive, right? Or 2) postpone touring for another year and travel independently in Italy, choosing less populated places to visit and perhaps reducing our chances of infection by not being in a group of 30 wherever we go. Although still facing the potential of a quarantine….maybe at least we’d have a little more control of where we get stuck and how to get back on track once that is over??? Or 3) forgoing Italy/Europe altogether this year, and traveling within the US or perhaps by car in Canada. At least we wouldn’t be stuck somewhere for 10 days and unable to get home unless one of us was really sick.
A week ago I would have said full speed ahead with the original plan. Among other things, we purchased our plane tickets before gas prices soared and got a very good deal. And we’ve been planning for this trip/return to Europe for so long! On the other hand, people on this forum have noted that the specter of a positive test has made the travel experience more stressful/less fun. I think my employer would be understanding if I were unable to return when planned, but I do worry about our animals. We’ve got house sitters scheduled….but they won’t be able to extend their stay and I hate to leave the animals alone for 2 weeks, even with a neighbor coming daily to feed them.
I know it’s my decision, but I also suspect others on this forum are struggling with these same questions and would love to know what you’ve decided to do. Thanks!

Posted by
2622 posts

The key thing is that it really is your decision but I understand that idea that it’s good to hear positive stories from others. We did a tour plus independent travel to France last fall and it went wonderfully. We did a tour plus independent travel to Spain and Portugal last month and it also was fantastic.

We’re doing another tour/independent trip to Italy in October and Germany in April. We sat out for two long years and won’t sit out any longer. Testing to return does add a level of worry - but we’ve decided it’s worth the stress - Europe is our favorite place to be.

Posted by
564 posts

We spent the month in April doing 2 tours back to back. We had been itching to get back to Europe because as Valerie mentioned, it’s my favorite place to vacation. Of course Covid was a concern, especially at the end of our month when we had to get a negative test to come home. We had tour members who tested positive on both tours but the majority did not. Knowing what I know now, I would still have gone. Being in Italy and Sicily was such a joy! It filled those empty spaces that the last few years have created. It was well worth it.

Posted by
722 posts

Ruth, we are wrestling with the same issues. We've used a very dependable Pet Nanny service for 21 years but her staff is now stretched so thin that the possibility of an extra 10 days really makes it difficult for her scheduling.

Posted by
417 posts

Ruth, we're still struggling with the tour aspect. Ours is not until October and hopefully the return test requirement will be a thing of the past by then (though I've been hoping that since March and no luck). My husband and I have a short trip to Toronto planned in a few weeks and I am going to Denmark solo in August and I feel pretty good about both of those trips in terms of staying safe. Our RS tour is in October and the big point of hesitation is our elderly dog and our twenty year old son at home. We'd be gone for 9-10 days total and my husband would be very distressed to have to be away from the dog any longer than that. Our son works 15-20 hours a week and will be in school in the fall, so the dog will have some long days alone. So there's that, plus the thought of navigating testing positive/quarantine requirements/working remotely from Turkey. We have another month to decide, and I haven't bought plane tix yet, but as much as we really, really want to go on this tour, the testing requirement may make us change our minds. I almost wish the powers that be would either say "the testing requirement is here to stay" or drop the darn thing already. If we bail and then the requirement is dropped, we'll be so disappointed.

Posted by
10218 posts

We spent 6 weeks this spring traveling independently in Germany, Belgium, France and the Netherlands. We were very careful, wore masks when we felt we should (sometimes the only ones), and stayed away from crowds as much as possible. I’ve never been on a tour so I don’t know what my comfort level would be. I didn’t let worry about Covid get in the way of enjoying ourselves. We did have a Plan B in case we tested positive, so that eased our concerns. If being with a group of people is going to cause you anxiety I say just go on your own.

Posted by
2 posts

Ruth,
We planned a trip to S. Italy and Sicily in 2020 and about the time we would have booked, Covid was breaking out in Italy. We have re-evaluated every 6 months since then. Recently we renewed our passports thinking this fall would be our new target for travel. After studying various websites and reading this forum we are postponing our Italian trip again. We are not getting any younger, either, and we are lucky to be in physical condition now to travel. Fortunately we have traveled throughout our lifetimes using R.S. books for Europe and planning our own trips elsewhere. Now we have the time and a bit more money to see the world and we hope our health holds out to do more touring. The thought of testing positive upon re-entry to this country is what has caused us to delay our trip again. I would not want to board the plane leaving my husband behind, but whose to say I would not test positive if I were to stay behind with him? Statistics on long Covid are frightening. These are complicated decisions but I have Mother's common sense when it comes to health issues. That said we are really looking forward to seeing Europe again.

Best wishes for future travel.

Jan

Posted by
973 posts

Rick Steve’s just said his tour groups are testing at a 2% positive Covid rate. So, yes, the odds are in your favor, especially if you mask up when around alot of people.

The threat of quarantine does damper everything. I’m hopeful that this restriction will be lifted by the end of summer at the latest.

Posted by
2344 posts

I almost wish the powers that be would either say "the testing requirement is here to stay" or drop the darn thing already.

I feel this way too. It's the uncertainty that's causing stress. I too wish they'd say "testing will be required until xx date" so we'd at least be mentally prepare for that reality.

Posted by
4074 posts

So much has changed over the last year. I have traveled independently internationally 5 times since last July and all trips have been wonderful. No one can say what is right for you, though. However in my case, I don’t have to consider a family member as vulnerable, I have had my vaccines and a booster, I have time for an additional stay, my house is taken care of, I have a year of insurance should my trip be interrupted, I know how to book hotels and rebook flights from my room, and so many countries are loosening restrictions on quarantine because of vaccination rates and decline in severe illness. So I think now a positive test that would delay the trip home is an expensive inconvenience but doesn’t have to suck the joy out of travel (for me). Everyone is not the same as me, nor with the same life situation, though.

And you are right - we are hearing so many worries and concerns ….. but I think that is just a result of people beginning to get back out into regular life again. And the number of reports of positive test delays? Same - lots of people beginning to travel again. It happens. But it doesn’t have to be a huge problem if your situation (work, pets, family) doesn’t require it to be so.

Just wanted to throw my five fantastic trips onto the scales to balance the negative vibes floating around.

Posted by
116 posts

We are in the process of deciding on going to Italy for the first time this fall. While the RS tours are reported at 2% positive I am not sure if that includes those who stay extra days and test outside RS tour dates in order to return. While the prospect of staying longer would not present hardship in terms of jobs, children or pets it still would be in the back of my mind while on the tour. I am not ready to plan everything myself as that would be more stress. So for us until the test to return is lifted and we have more data on positive rates on tour we probably won’t be going..But I will be hoping.

Posted by
842 posts

I have never gone on an organized tour, have always traveled independently. Thus it should be no surprise that I have felt since the start of the pandemic that my next trip abroad will again be independent travel but, to date, I have not pulled the trigger on it, not yet. I missed some good opportunities, like July 2021 when France reopened, but the timing was too tight for me (other things going on at home that kept me from going then). I also think that October 2021 was another good window, but I had some medical issues that kept me at home.

As to when, I am holding out some hope that I might get a chance to go later this year, but two things have to change for me to do it. One, there has to be a "break" in the current Covid transmission trend. Two, the US must drop its testing requirement for returning home. Frankly, if only #2 happened - the US drops the testing requirement - it might be enough for me to book an independent trip for later this year.

The biggest issue RE booking a tour is that you have to make that decision so far in advance of the tour that you have no way of knowing what conditions will be like 9 months to a year in advance. With independent travel, I have in the past made trip plans in as little as a week before departure, and usually no more than a month in advance. That kind of flexibility is what I will call upon for my next trip, too.

Posted by
4692 posts

One question to ask yourself - what if this is the new normal?? What if there is no waiting it out ? It could be that each time we think COVID is over, a new strain emerges, as we are all getting older.

All your concerns are valid. We have taken two Europe trips in the past nine months, on our own. We did mask religiously, take the free tests and use them regularly, have COVID coverage in our travel insurance, and pay a deposit to reserve our house sitter for an extra week. We were fortunate to test negative each time.

I'm starting to accept the thought that we won't return to the old normal: flights will be canceled / delayed, COVID rates will rise and fall seasonally, and masks are an essential travel tool.

To travel or not to travel is a very personal decision. The testing is stressful , but less so if you test regularly throughout your trip. It's hard to wear the masks all the time, especially when no one else around you is masking.

But- if this is the new normal, how would you feel if you never traveled internationally again? Perhaps that answer could provide some guidance?

Good luck.

Posted by
8439 posts

Ruth we are in the same boat regarding feeling our good travel years slipping away. Its hard to make a decision based on calculating the relative risk of your options. I don't see a significant difference risk-wise between a RS tour group and independent travel. You cant avoid contact with all people.

Its the consequences that matter, and for me, the issue of your animals is a decider. That would be a real burden to place on your neighbor. I guess you could agree ahead of time that if only one of you tests positive, the other should go on or go home. Ithink everyone focuses on being forced to stay extra days, but people are still getting sick too. It could be 10 days at minimum.

We decided not to travel overseas this year, not exclusively due to COVID, but thats a big part of it. We've been traveling domestically. But we will be signing up for a 2023 tour as soon as they are published.

Posted by
2602 posts

I travel solo, and have never considered a tour, and now even less inclined to do anything where I am stuck with a group of people. I determined the risks were worth it and made a glorious return to London in April, but due to various circumstances I won't be going to Europe until probably fall of 2023. No one can predict the future so I say do what you can while you can. I chose England over other places because it's truly a favorite country, but also because they had lifted the entry testing and I would not have had to deal with a strict hotel quarantine situation--for me, keeping it real simple helped keep the anxiety low.

If your choices were mine to make, I'd go with #2 and do your own thing, much easier to sort out the situation if you and/or your partner tests positive or becomes ill.

Posted by
8372 posts

I struggled a little earlier with whether to continue with my RS tours this fall. I traveled to the the UK with my son in May and that was a bit of an eye opener as far as realizing that people taking covid precautions is a thing of the past. I am not being critical of UK policy here. If you choose to treat Covid as an endemic, then their policy makes perfect sense. The only reason it was a bit of an issue for me was that test to return.

I chose to continue with my plans for my 2 tours in September, but I thought about it for a good bit. I have no animals (on purpose because I like to travel so much), I have no job to get back for, and I have travel insurance, health insurance, and medjet insurance. If "the worst" happens, I have thought through the options that I have and I think I will be okay. Otherwise, I think I will enjoy the tours. I'll report back when I'm done how this all really worked out.

I think the key here is do what you are doing. Think through your particular situation and come up with the solution that seems like it will be the best fit for you.

Posted by
2427 posts

Our experience with covid - We took a tour to Costa Rica with 4 other people. My husband got a very mild case of covid (tickle cough) and three others on the tour did as well. I did not get it. We were able to come home as the testing in Costa Rica was lax. Two back to back tours with RS April/May and we both tested negative to come home after a month in Italy. We are both fully vaccinated. I have had two boosters and my husband has had one booster plus covid which is like a booster. He will get another booster in midJuly. Our friends took 2 back to back RS tours. They are fully vaccinated and boosted and both got mild cases of covid at the end of the first tour, had to leave the tour, then tested negative and were able to take the second tour. Other friends went to a large local gathering where no one was masked and both got covid. They were vaccinated and double boosted. Both said it was like a case of the flu. My point is that covid is everywhere. You have to decide whether or not travel whether independently or on a tour are worth the risk. We are going on two more RS tours in August/September. We are retired and have insurance and the means to cover any losses outside of what the insurance may pay. We are not getting any younger and as others have said the clock is ticking. Will I love it if either of us get sick and have to quarantine? Definitely not but we are willing to take the risk.

Posted by
2707 posts

Does being on a tour increase the odds of contracting COVID versus independent travel? No one knows but, based on my experience after many RS tours, I would say probably yes. On several of our tours when one fellow traveler got a cold it spread pretty widely among the group. On our Adriatic tour the guide announced at the first meeting that he had a cold. That was a disaster! My wife got it and dragged through most of the first week. The stories here and on other boards regarding the aftermath of testing positive have not been encouraging. We are in our 70’s and have been fortunate to have traveled to Europe many times. We’ve not seen it all and many of our trips left us wanting to return to places we’ve visited. If i were to be told my last trip was truly my last trip I’d be sad, but I’d feel fortunate to have done what we did when it was not easy-child care, pet care, work, etc. Now we have the time and money, but I’m immunocomprimised and worried. We have a tour booked to northern Spain with another company in September. This one more costly, but it seemed that if things went south health wise they had the reputation of being there for you. But, as it gets closer their travelers have mixed reviews when COVID hits. They are also not requiring pre-tour testing which RSE just reinstated. Our payment is due mid-July and we are about 75% sure we will cancel and do a PNW road trip or such.

Posted by
470 posts

Ruth, I think all people traveling right now have concerns. We spent three weeks in Germany in April on our own. Because of the vaccination requirements we felt safe flying. Because of the strict masking rules in Germany and the complete compliance by people, we felt safe while we were there. We had real anxiety about testing positive and having to quarantine. On the other hand, would you really want to get on a plane with all those positive people? We were one of the last flights required to wear masks, and everyone did. By the time we arrived at SFO for our connection, most masks were off. While we didn't get Covid, we did end up with nasty colds.
For us, we are glad we went when we did. The weather was more of a disappointment than any Covid-related aspect. I suspect if we were to go now, the relaxing of masking and vaccination requirements would add a lot to our anxiety. While we were in Germany it was actually refreshing to see everyone following the rules. By the end of our trip, concerts were only "respectfully requesting" masks. And every one of the 1,200 patrons wore one, and wore it correctly. Not complaining about lack of personal freedom, but doing what was asked because it was in everyone's best interest. We do not see that as universally where we live, with lots of toddler behavior( no mask, mask below the nose...) throughout the pandemic. So that time in Germany felt safer than being at home in the US.

Now that safety precautions are being relaxed everywhere, you need to think about your own comfort zone. If you already have the plane tickets, perhaps traveling just on your own is a good compromise. It is much easier to control your exposure that way.

Posted by
1103 posts

We had scheduled two RS tours for 2022: Munich, Salzburg & Austria (May) and Best of England (September). The England tour was rescheduled from September 2020. We planned to travel with two different couple on these tours. In December, we all agreed to cancel the May tour, and in April we cancelled the September tour.

We both turned 70 this year, so our good travel years are limited. On our last tour (Village Italy - 2019) a number of tour members caught some kind of virus, so the spread of COVID is a concern. We are not worried about serious health consequences from catching COVID (although we do know a vaxxed and boosted person who spent three months in the hospital last year. It just does not seem like fun to have to worry about getting kicked off a tour or isolating at the end of the trip before you can fly home.

We were fortunate to have taken a RS tour each year for five years in a row ending in 2019. We have done independent travel before, but prefer the RS tour experience.

We will probably book the Best of England tour for May 2023. For 2022 we have just taken two short domestic trips. Last week we visited friends on Block Island, and made special efforts to learn about how it is to live there year round. In that sense, it reminded me of our approach to European travel. Next week we travel to rural western New York State for a school reunion.

Posted by
13934 posts

Well, I've done 2 European tours since last year, one in October with 2 weeks independent time in Paris before and after and one in April/May with...you guessed it....2 weeks of independent travel ahead of it in Paris (and Colmar), lol.

The tour company was Road Scholar. In October in France you had to have the Pass Sanitaire or CDC card to show vax status. That was gone when I traveled in April. On my April tour, again with Road Scholar, I was with a group of 18 on a bus. Very little masking except me and I wore an N95 ALL the time I was out of my room except when I was actively eating. One person tested positive and then 2 days later his wife tested positive. Road Scholar had no pre-tour test requirements and according to the leader, no policies on what to do if a spouse or roommate tested positive. In this instance, the spouse continued to come to activities until she tested positive. Shockingly, ALL tested negative for our return home including everyone who was unmasked around these individuals. To my knowledge, no one tested positive in the week after we returned home either as we are in touch by email.

I'm going to Italy in September on a RS tour. At this point my plan is to continue to mask with the N95s that are comfortable on my face. I'm currently still masking around here although no one else is. I'm going to Yellowstone next week and doing a birding program with about 10 others on a small bus. We've been asked to wear masks as the community spread is high in the area. I may stop wearing the mask around here when I get back but I'll go back to wearing it a month or so before I travel.

I did self tests fairly frequently this last time. I was having major allergy issues in Paris with blooming trees so with my symptoms was never sure if it was allergy or Covid. After the person on tour tested positive I tested every day so I would not have any surprises. I will take kits with me to Italy and buy more there. They were very inexpensive in France.

I'm not trying to convince you to go to Italy. You have to go with what is comfortable with you. I did want to tell you that just because someone tests positive on a tour doesn't mean everyone on the tour is going to get it. I feel masking helped me although the unmasked people on my tour were also unscathed.

Posted by
2731 posts

Ruth, I too struggled with the "do I go or do I stay" dilemma. I started planning this London, France, Venice trip when I got home from Italy three years ago. After much angst and thought, I decided I'm getting too old and achy to put this trip off another year. I'm planning another trip for next June. There is no way to know if next year will be "better" or even the following year.

This trip is my first solo adventure with a RS tour sandwiched in the middle of independent travel. I purposely let RS full refund period expire. I am now committed to going and having a great time. I feel the tours are doing the best they can to mitigate Covid risk. On my own, I am vax'd and boosted, will wear a mask and social distance as much as possible. It's not unlike home where my hubby and I are often the only mask wearers when out and about.

Unlike you, I am retired so do not worry about work schedules. My hubby will be home and he's allergic to pets with hair. I am buying annual insurance which includes both trips to cover many non-refundable costs and help recoup trip delay/interruption costs.

As you said only you can decide your risk tolerance. My risk tolerance is low but the risk is lower than the rewards.

Posted by
317 posts

I totally agree with Pat from San Diego. This could very likely be the way the world is and Covid will not go away. The thought of locking ourselves away on our homes indefinitely his not a viable way of life, at least not for me. We too are looking at the time slipping away and reaching a time in our lives where traveling will not be possible. So we chose to take a river cruise a couple of weeks ago. We extended our time with a couple of days before starting the cruise and another 5 days after. We were Covid tested on our arrival to the ship and again daily for the next 3 days. Masks were required onboard except inner cabins and also strongly suggested while on excursions. Although masks were optional on our flights, I did wear a mask. I felt much more comfortable on this type of cruise as opposed to an ocean cruise due to the limited number of passengers as well as the precautions that were taken. We had no trouble finding a testing site before our return and our tests were negative, so headed home. Unfortunately after arriving home on Saturday, I started showing Covid symptoms and tested positive on Wednesday even though I have been vaccinated and boosted. So it is easy to see how this virus is traveling. Could we have done more to prevent contracting Covid? I don't know what we could have done short of having no contact with anyone indefinitely. It is a risk that you have to be willing to take. Would I do it again? I would and I would continue to take precautions as I did.

Posted by
29 posts

It’s a tough choice!
My spouse and I nearly booked a tour but ultimately went independent.
Even though Europe seems to be back to business as usual, we appreciate the flexibility we have had to take more precautions and avoid group meals. I’ve also been sick on a tour before (food poisoning) and it really sucked - I would have rather been on my own than try to keep up.

Anyway, there is risk of infection no matter what choice you make - including staying local (assuming you leave your house on occasion) - but independent travel struck the right balance for us.

Posted by
145 posts

I read many comments that wishing the US covid test requirement to return should be lifted.
There are two factors that will dictate when can one fly home: The US 'Covid 1-day test + 10-day do not travel rule' and the host country isolation rule.

Lifting the US Covid 1-day test requirement will help those who're either healthy (not infected) or infected but asymptomatic (who don't know they're infected). People who show symptoms and tested positive will still have to heed to the host country Covid isolation rule as well as the US Covid '10-day do not travel' rule to return (even without the 1 day testing requirement).

So this Covid 1-day test requirement really is to 'capture'/stop those infected folks who are asymptomatic from boarding. Especially with the mask mandate lifted I would think this is really a plus; I don't want to sit next to someone who's asymptomatic and not wearing a mask in airplane. Just my 3 cents.

Posted by
13934 posts

"Especially with the mask mandate lifted I would think this is really a plus; I don't want to sit next to someone who's asymptomatic and not wearing a mask in airplane."

But since there is no (or very little) outbound testing needed you may indeed sit next to an asymptomatic person on the way to Europe. (Or heaven forbid...a symptomatic person who just doesn't care.)

Posted by
2344 posts

So this Covid 1-day test requirement really is to 'capture'/stop those infected folks who are asymptomatic from boarding.

Unfortunately, testing is notoriously unreliable with false negatives and positives, and everyone boards untested on the way out of the US, so it's not an effective tool.

Posted by
13 posts

Interesting question, Ruth. We got Covid on an expensive tour in Portugal and were left quarantined as the tour took off to finish the tour, so I've been there.

I love the local guides that a tour offers. The group dining was chancy with Covid and the group travel. I suppose if I was going to travel, I might try independently and look in advance for local guides? Loved the tour, but if I'm thinking about another trip, not sure about a tour with the exposure? 10 out of 24 got Covid on our tour, and the next tour was 0, from what I heard.

I'd also get travel insurance, which we had on this past tour. We still don't regret going but are hesitant to travel again right now.

In both our cases we had no fever and I had a mild cold, my husband seemed to have allergies, but it was Covid.

Posted by
265 posts

We just returned from 2 1/2 weeks in Italy in mid-April, a trip delayed from March 2020 as were many. Like many of us we are running out of years to travel independently (70+) but made the judgement that this environment may not change - at least not while relevant to us.

Where we live mask usage is pretty much non-existent and fear of Covid has become a small part of daily life, and that includes us. We wore masks on flights and where required in Italy, I cannot imagine having to wear a N-95 in HOT weather (and I wore a mask daily in my profession for 30+ years!). Of course the mask requirements are greatly reduced now.

Nowhere in Italy was I "fearful" of catching Covid although we were certainly aware of the possibility. As many have noted, you have to make this assessment for yourself. If your level of anxiety is very high or you have significant health issues, travel may not be the best choice for you. People seem to be by and large trying to resume living their lives. I have two friends who caught Covid 2 weeks ago at a family wedding - happens - but he was on the golf course the third day after diagnosis.

Posted by
670 posts

John, being vaccinated, boosted, and careful I am at this point less concerned with becoming sick than I am concerned about testing positive and being stuck. Stuck somewhere mid tour, required to quarantine, and possibly having to scramble to find a hotel permitting me to do so. (On other threads I’ve read about travelers getting little to no support from their 24/7 trip insurance help centers, and RS tour guides have no choice but to move ahead with the rest of the group. Some posters have not felt the RS guide/office provided basic support. In their defense, I’m sure they never expected so many positive tour members popping up everywhere.) Stuck trying to return to Point A without tour bus transportation. Stuck for 10 days in a rundown hotel room, not permitted to leave, attempting to order in take out because the hotel doesn’t even have a restaurant. Unable to get home to jobs and pets. Doesn’t sound like much of a vacation…

Posted by
2427 posts

“This won't change my travel plans. But I may violate the "no grumps" policy if tour members aren't masking.”

I’m with you on this horsewoofie.

Posted by
201 posts

My husband and I made the decision a few months ago to wait until 2023 because we don't want to take the risk of getting stuck in Europe for 2 extra weeks. We were suppose to take 2 tours this year.

I am vax'd and double boosted, work at home, always wear a N95 mask when I am indoors (so no indoor restaurants) but I am now isolating at home with COVID. I will admit I do not always wear a mask around my kids and that was my downfall. I was exposed last weekend at a barbecue for my husband's birthday. My daughter the day after the event, my son-in-law 3 days after that and then me the day after that. I highly suspected my extreme allergies were not allergies so I was not surprised to eventually test positive.

I would not want to be somewhere other than home right now. I mostly feel like I have a really bad cold and I'm tired. I have to isolate or wear a mask when I venture out to the common areas of our house since I don't want to get my husband sick. Normally I don't mind wearing a mask but now it is a bit hard to breath in one. Technically I am suppose to isolate from my cat too but she's not having that.

I have a friend that just got back from Barcelona after a 12 day extension because they tested positive the night before they were to fly home. United requires min. of 10 days from when you test positive and they couldn't get a flight until day 12. They were coming off an AmaWaterways river cruise in France and I gather many people ended up being positive - some before they flew home and some just after they arrived home. For the record, the cruise required vaccinations and masks in common areas except while eating.

Posted by
491 posts

To me it seems obvious that going on a tour increases your odds of catching covid - if one person in the group catches it - with or without masks - the odds are much better that you're catch it from them. If you are touring independently you can can avoid crowds, indoor dining etc, won't be in the same bus with the same people every day - can take trains or hire a car and minimize your contact with others.

Omicron is very, very infectious, I'm healthy - had been boosted a few months earlier - and still got Covid in Fiji of all places - where everything was outside except are individual bure! All I can think is that 2x 30 min bus rides (in a week) - unmasked - exposed me enough to get infected. Everyone on those buses were tourists so they had all been vaccinated (as per Fiji's rules) .

And you do want to worry about being sick - I had a mild case - didn't need any medical help - only used a few panadols and a LOT of cough lozenges. And only today - 1 month later do I feel back to full energy again.

Posted by
60 posts

Travel independently. You don't have to test and if you are older and more concerned about catching covid have a plan in place to be able to get Paxlovid if you were to get sick. Everything is a risk and if the clock is ticking well I'd say the risks are nothing compared to losing another year of travel. I for one will follow Italy's rules which mean I don't have to show vaccination status, mask or test. Travel is back baby!!! Have fun and happy travels!!!

Posted by
17908 posts

Wait.

I don't mean this sarcastically, but travel is for enjoyment (and learning) and if you are asking the question, might be because you will be too nervous to enjoy.

Posted by
4318 posts

Independent and only when there's a window(like this summer) when they don't require a negative test to return to the US.

Posted by
2375 posts

I'm not convinced that independent travel is safer than a tour. I know quite a few people who have traveled to Europe independently the last few months and had covid issues either during or immediately upon return.

As far as I know, nobody in my recent Rick Steves tour tested positive.