Please sign in to post.

Solo Traveler - Italy - August 2022

I've never flown internationally as a solo female traveler. Getting ready for the trip has been extremely exciting, however, my mind brought this up last week and I've searched the threads and don't find anything addressing this issue. I am traveling with a backpack and personal item. I know I will have to use the restroom at least a couple of times during the 10 hour flight but am nervous about leaving my personal item behind. Right now there isn't another passenger in my row but that most likely will change. Has anyone (male or female) faced this conundrum? I feel my bag will be too large to take to the restroom and then there is the question of where to put it once inside such a small space.

Posted by
4078 posts

I thought about this, too, the first time I traveled solo. My solution then was to keep my passport and credit cards in my neck wallet (and I always have my phone in my pocket). That reassured me that even if my personal item disappeared, I could keep traveling. However, the truth is that on the plane, there is nowhere for anyone to go. And if your things go missing while on the flight, they should be findable. Plus most people are honest. After several times, though, I quit worrying….. whether that’s the right answer or not, I don’t know.

However I also have a funny story about that first time. I really needed to go to the bathroom, so went back as soon as the plane was ready to deplane and I could get up. Had my valuables but left my purse under the seat. Almost everyone was off when I was able to move back down the aisle to get to my seat - and my purse was not there….. I almost panicked, but asked the flight attendant whom I had been chatting with. She said often people will take things to the front of the plane to turn in. Sure enough, some kind soul thought it had been forgotten, picked it up, and turned it in to the flight attendant at the exit door, where it was waiting on me. Moral of that story for me is don’t leave stuff while everyone is deplaning. Ha!

Posted by
2375 posts

I travel alone, too. I have never once worried about leaving things at my seat while on a plane. I can't imagine that somebody wouldn't question a fellow passenger accessing your belongings while you were gone.

Posted by
8375 posts

And yet, theft on planes does happen……

I agree with having a neck wallet or just a small bag within a bag you can keep with you. 99.9% of plane travelers are honest folk with no desire to steal. It is that .1% that could ruin a trip.

Posted by
3207 posts

I agree with Carol. It does happen. The likelihood is small, but it has to happen to someone so I don't want it to be me.

I have a tiny crossbody Pacsafe purse that holds all my financial information, money, passport, phone and pills enough for a couple days that I never take off in transport. A few times I have brought my entire purse, which has my camera/iPad, into the loo when I felt uneasy about my neighbors. My personal items are small enough to put crossbody on my back or as a small backpack. You will see women taking purses to the loo. If you have a larger personal item, perhaps you can put a purse inside of it that you could pull out when going to the loo? Just looking at the behavior of people lately on planes, I suspect theft happens more now (Just my opinion, not scientifically proven). Anyway, I wear my tiny Pacsafe for theft and I also do this incase of emergency evacuation from the plane. When one does evacuate (unlikely) you are to take nothing like a purse or personal item, it will often take a while for luggage to be cleared for return to its owner if it can be. While this is unlikely to happen, it is part of my planning. I want my money and my meds with me, instead of panicking because I don't have my medicine that I must take daily.

Posted by
291 posts

As others stated, always keep your passport and cash on you in a neck or money pouch. I have a travel lock on my backpack zippers. Don't assume strangers on a plane are so trustworthy. My husband was traveling in a 2 seat across business class seat before the pods were installed; so sitting right next to a stranger. In the morning, his baseball hat that had dropped off his head while sleeping was gone. Also, recently read about a woman who left her purse under the seat in front of her, and when she came back from the restroom, her wallet was gone.

Posted by
9570 posts

I've done both, like travelmom. I have worn the smallest crossbody that I have just kept on myself with passport, I.d., credit cards, and phone.

And I have just left my stuff in my obvious purse when I go to the bathroom or to stretch my legs in the faith that humanity will leave it alone.

Posted by
1481 posts

I do the same thing as Wray. I have a passport wallet that I wear crossbody. I never take it off outside my hotel room. It has my passport, cash and credit cards.

Posted by
48 posts

Thank you everyone for sharing my concern. I hadn't thought about the neck pouch but that is a good idea for passport, credit cards, etc. I guess if they take my snacks and my headphones they must need them worse than I do. LOL. I don't want anything to ruin my trip and I've been absorbing all the information available about safety during the trip so this scenario was causing me some anxiety. I am open to any suggestions you found helpful as a solo traveler that I may not have thought about.

Posted by
2602 posts

I have made many solo trips and never once worried about anyone messing with my tote bag that is sometimes under the seat, sometimes stowed overhead. There is nothing valuable in there to take, that's all in my purse and of course that always goes to the restroom with me. On a train, however, I will take the tote and my purse to the restroom.

Posted by
8375 posts

When I travel solo, I make sure that I do at least one point of contact with family at home per day. It could be as quick as sharing a photo or a text message. The idea is that they feel better when they hear from me, and if they ever don't, they know to start following up.

I try to use the same "solo street smarts" I would use traveling anywhere. I don't go down a dark, empty road alone at night if I am not confident of the surroundings. I try to be visible when walking alone. For example, walk along the main street vs. the back streets. I have been known to closely follow a group when walking in a dicey area so that the random onlooker might even think I was part of that group. I don't dangle tempting targets such as phones or purses at the end of my arms.

Sometimes solo travel safety is a pain. Last January I really wanted to go swimming at a lovely beach in the Caribbean. However, I was by myself, and I knew that without a "swim buddy" I would be breaking several safety rules that I had taught my own children. The good news is that I later signed up for a snorkeling tour and was able to go swimming and see some great underwater wildlife within the safety of a group with guides monitoring all swimmers. There are times when you need to ditch solo travel for a group, even if it is just for a day.

Posted by
322 posts

We were bumped up to business class on an LA-London flight…the mom on the other side of my “pod” left her 6 mo old daughter with me to go to the restroom…it worked out well on that long flight. The baby was so cute, but I decided not to keep her lol! Hopefully you’ll be surrounded by kind, honest people.

Posted by
2338 posts

I travel solo mostly and have never really worried about this either, and I've been seated next to some, ahem, interesting folks. But it doesn't hurt to pay attention these days no matter where you are. As others have suggested, put your most valuable items in a neck wallet or smaller tote to take to restroom with you. Make sure your personal item is zipped and secured (I use carabiners like this) to make it a little more challenging to dig through my bag. I usually tuck my phone and tablet back into my personal item when I go to the bathroom...but once I didn't and found my phone hanging off my seat by my earphones (OOPS!). I also bring a small packing cube with an in-flight kit - eyeshades, foldable slippers, small hanging foot rest, ear plugs, plus wet wipes and Colgate wisps to freshen up with (after 10 hours I always feel gross).

As for other solo tips, I spend some time really planning my arrival steps in detail as I rarely sleep on long flights and I'm groggy. That means figuring out in advance how I'm getting from airport to hotel (shuttle, taxi, train), including how to buy tickets, and even using Google street view to virtually "walk" to my hotel. This has saved me much stress over the years (in particular when I arrived in Ecuador at 1 a.m. and had to walk down a pretty dark alley to my pensione, even the taxi driver questioned my sanity).

Italy was my first solo trip (some time on own and then taking a RS tour). You'll love it!

Posted by
48 posts

Cathy, Yikes! That reminds me of a time recently at Old Navy a dad with about a 4 month old wanted to try on some pants. I was waiting at the doorway while my daughter tried on something and he left the baby in the stroller outside of his dressing room, closed the door and tried on his item. All I could think was "I'm keeping this baby safe and his wife would KILL him!"

Posted by
48 posts

Thank you everyone. I'm doing the RS Heart of Italy tour so I will feel much better when I meet up with my group. I am flying overnight and arriving around noon a day early (Aug 6) so I will have to get from the airport to our first hotel in Rome by myself. I have already booked an add'l day with the hotel. I am hoping once our tour roster is posted there will be others interested in doing something the day of our first group meeting (Aug 7) which isn't until 3 pm.

Posted by
41 posts

I've done two solo trips to Italy and leaving for another on Friday. You'll have a wonderful time! Just adding a few thoughts: I don't keep all my $ and credit cards in the same place. I put an extra card and cash in a sock in my suitcase. Should my purse get lost, I have a back-up way to survive. When traveling with others, this isn't as much of a worry. I want to hike between two Cinque Terre villages, but really don't believe in hiking solo, so I hired a guide. To avoid always eating dinner by myself, I've taken food tours in the evening. I get to eat at fabulous places with other travelers from throughout the world. The Eating Italy tours in Rome -- Trastevere & Testaccio--are so worthwhile.

Posted by
48 posts

Claudia, I had not thought of a food tour....I will definitely be checking on this!! Thanks!

Posted by
7282 posts

Hi Anita,

I am getting ready to leave in a few weeks for another solo trip to Italy. I also make sure my valuables are secure during a flight. I place my passport & money belt items in a tiny cross body bag that I wear inside my raincoat while sleeping. So those items are with me when I go to the bathroom, also. It’s not that I am paranoid; I just don’t have an easy Option B during solo trips.

I like to purchase Euros ahead of time through our bank, so I am not trying to use an ATM at an airport when I have jet lag.

I love traveling solo, and I also love when my husband comes with me. Both types of travel have advantages. When you are traveling solo, enjoy choosing how long to linger in a museum, whether to have a second gelato, getting up early to take photos before the crowds descend for the day. If you like classical music, there’s usually some options in the evening where other tour members might join you; ask your tour guide.

If you ever have an uneasiness about any situation, just immediately get away from it. You don’t have to explain that sense or apologize. I have only had it happen a couple of times in many years of work & vacation solo travel - just trust yourself!

When you meet up with your RS group, be outgoing & proactive meeting others. You will have a wonderful time!

Posted by
545 posts

I've flown solo to Europe twice and just made sure my personal item was fully zipped and well under the seat. It's too big to bring with me in the airplane loo. I probably left my iPad in the seat pocket. I think I may have told my seat mate to keep an eye on my things at some point. After reading these replies, I plan to use my new neck wallet on the plane for passport, cards, and cash. I really think the chances are very low that someone will take something, but it's smart to be careful.

Posted by
48 posts

Thank you Jean. I hope this is the first of many solo trips for me! I love meeting people and chose single share hotel arrangements for that reason. I think it will all be a wonderful experience.

Posted by
1825 posts

Anita, thanks for asking this question. I always travel solo and this is one thing I have never even thought of. All the strategies mentioned sound good and I will keep in mind. When traveling by trains I have worried about my luggage at the end of the car, but it has never disappeared. Other than trying to sit with a sight line to the baggage storage I don't know what else you can do. This one came to mind because my sister actually had her bag taken by someone on a cross country Amtrak US trip. She never did get it back.