Please sign in to post.

RS 2022 Tour Conditions Agreement updated 5/26

I am very disappointed that vaccinations are not required or even mentioned in the Tour Conditions Agreement:
"Traveling in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be careful to maintain high health and safety standards. Tour members agree to follow all safety precautions and health directives set by your guide, by RSE, or by local officials. Examples may include maintaining proper social distancing, the use of face masks (covering your nose and mouth), regular temperature checks, proper handwashing, the use of hand sanitizer, quarantining if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 or other contagious illness, and/or being seen by a health professional as a condition of continuing on with the tour. The possible precautions and directives required are not limited to the examples included here."
It's near the bottom of https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/tour-conditions

I'm hoping this will change by fall 2022. Otherwise I may need to rethink taking the tour I want and traveling independent instead. Now is too early to decide and to know what Covid is plotting. But if "you are showing symptoms of COVID-19", you just infected the whole tour bus. Yes, I am fully vaccinated. And prefer to be around others who are also vaccinated unless I know them very well.

Posted by
11174 posts

My supposition is the idea is that by this time next year everyone will have been vaccinated, or had it and recovered.

Vaccinated people at are a very low risk of getting it and if they do have only mild symptoms.

Not sure that a tour bus ( which RS runs at 50% capacity) is more dangerous than trains and other public transport.

The possible precautions and directives required are not limited to the examples included here."

This looks to be the proviso that allows adding 'must be vaccinated' to the list of conditions at a later date.

Posted by
6113 posts

Portugal has just opened up to U.K. travellers today. Their entry requirements relate to being tested rather than being vaccinated. It’s likely to vary between countries. Children aren’t being vaccinated here, which may account for the testing preference.

Posted by
4388 posts

This is the fudge language, it's impossible to know what those rules will be at that time:

safety precautions and health directives set by your guide, by RSE, or by local officials

And if you only want to be on vax tours, you need to specifically interrogate any tour operator (and even then, expect there to be "oops" moments on any given tour).

Posted by
2727 posts

Joe, based on comments on Rick's Travel Mondays stressing vaccinations, you would at least think a mention of vaccinations would be included. Something to the effect of "We strong recommend that all tour participants be vaccinated."

It's overly optimistic to think that most people will be vaccinated by the end of the year. I wish that was the reality but I know too many people in AZ who will never be vaccinated; currently AZ fully vaccinated rate is about 40%. An interview this morning with Asa Hutchison stated that 29% of Arkansas is vaccinated.

Posted by
4840 posts

With more than a year to go, its a little early for this kind of drama. They were only citing some possible examples, not providing an exhaustive list. For all you know a vaccination certificate may be mandatory just to get to your starting point, making any such tour restriction superfluous. No one can predict what conditions will be like 6 months from now, never mind 16 months.

And should you choose to go independently, how will you guarantee that every person you come in contact with will have been vaccinated?

Posted by
228 posts

Here is information from FAQ section:

Will I need to be vaccinated for COVID-19 to take a tour?
We strongly recommend all travelers be vaccinated against COVID-19 (and up to date with regular immunizations including the annual flu shot) before joining a tour. You'll need to be able to present one of the following: an authentic COVID-19 vaccination certificate showing date(s) and time(s) of vaccination(s) with the final dose having been given at least 14 days prior to your tour departure date, OR a verifiable negative PCR test result for COVID-19 taken within 72 hours of your tour departure date. However, our tours visit a wide variety of destinations where the governments, local authorities, and other entities (hotels, restaurants, sites) may require proof of vaccination. We'll do our best to keep our tour members informed of any requirements prior to traveling with us.

Seems clear that vaccines are strongly encouraged, but not required. I’m ok with that policy since I am vaccinated and not concerned about traveling with others who are not vaccinated. They have assumed the risk.

Posted by
2727 posts

Thank you Simpgolf for the FAQ statement. I just wish something similar was included in the agreement.

You’re right that a lot can change in a year. I just think that vaccinations should at least be mentioned in the agreement.

Posted by
1259 posts

I wonder what the agreement will look like for the 2023 season. That’s as soon as The Dear Wife will allow me to consider Europe.

I wish all of you who are going next year the best of times.

Posted by
740 posts

As this point, I would not book any group travel, including RS, that does not include a vaccination requirement. Still too much COVID "noise" out there.

Posted by
2705 posts

Eric and Kathy I am with you on this. At my age I hate to see another year slip by without seeing more of Europe. But even with full vaccination I’m very leery. I know there are those around me who are not vaccinated. But I don’t dine inside restaurants, will not visit a movie theater, wear a mask when food shopping. But being on a bus with 25 people not assured they are all faxed? Nah, showstopper for me. I’m hoping for a vaccine passport or such from RS. Maybe 2023? He’s aware of his demographic so I’m hoping the company will move in that direction.

Posted by
528 posts

I would prefer that to go on a RS tour that a person would need to be vaccinated.

Posted by
1219 posts

I would think specific country and airline requirements would be more specific than anything RS can put out there because they have so many different destinations. It seems to me, as others have said, a lot of countries are putting guidelines out there revolving around testing, not vaccinations. I wonder if that's because you can still be infected while being vaccinated? It also is a bit early. These could very well change and be modified before a 2022 trip. I also wonder if they aren't actually allowed to require to see that you have been vaccinated? I would be totally cool with that, but I wonder what the legalities are of it?

Regardless, I think everyone must do what they feel comfortable with.

Posted by
16893 posts

I would reiterate these relevant points made by others above:
* The current statement is more comprehensive than you might give it credit for.
* We hope that European nations and even airlines will set their hurdles high enough that we don’t have to add any more.
* It will take more time to research the legal basis for any possible additional requirements.

Posted by
450 posts

I can understand not requiring vaccines as there may be medical reasons people can't get vaccinated, for example. I am also not sure of the legal ramifications of making them mandatory for participation. However, requiring vaccines OR a series of negative tests (a PCR no older than 72 hours, possibly a rapid test no older than 24 hours before departure) would allow travellers in the group to feel safe. Most countries are currently requiring these minimums anyway.

That said, it would be smart to put the information in a prominent place. If people need to be fully vaccinated (including wait time after the second dose), they would need to start at least 5 weeks out and possibly more, and they would need to plan accordingly.

Posted by
8434 posts

Laura thanks for this link and update. I assume the condition on vaccination status will be updated if we are required to have booster or annual vaccinations?

Posted by
10183 posts

FYI— Road Scholar small-ship European cruises sent out a mailing. Vaccine is mandatory.