Please sign in to post.

New August 2021 Requirements to fly into Germany

Has anyone flown into Germany in the past few days and did not transit through, but stayed for vacation? It looks like one now needs proof of vaccination AND negative COVID test. Please share your experience. We are flying into Munich September 1 and spending 2 nights there. Thanks for any useful comments!

Posted by
98 posts

You are correct about both. You also need to fill out a form. Details are on the German posts here. I don't have the link right now or would send it. So, three things.

Posted by
1428 posts

Is this only for flying into Germany? What about driving into Germany? I will enter Germany from Austria twice, once by train/taxi and again by car.

My first "stay" will simply be an hour or so to take hold of my rental car at the German border. I will get there from Salzburg by train or taxi.

My second stay will be two nights. I will drive in from Austria.

Posted by
2666 posts

The US is designated a high-risk area, not an area of variant of concern. Thus, the following applies:

Obligation to furnish proof: Travellers who spent time in a high-risk
area must carry with them a test result or proof of vaccination or
recovery and, if demanded by the carrier, present such proof for the
purpose of carriage. In case of a stay in an area of variants of
concern, only a test result is admitted.

So, if you have proof of vaccination, you do not need a test. Please check the info. from the official government sources linked here:

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/einreiseundaufenthalt/EinreiseUndAufenthalt#content_0

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_aktuell_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Posted by
3843 posts

I depart the US 8/26 and arrive in Frankfurt 8/27. Got my Digitale Einreiseanmeldung tonight. As noted above, entry without quarantine requires only vaccination. Even though not required, I am getting a PCR test on the morning of 8/25 (result will be back that night) because...

1. It seems like the right thing to do. As high as COVID-19 cases are in my neck of the woods, it seems kind of irresponsible to travel to another country without checking.

2. From a practical side, it's better to find out I'm positive before the trip and convalesce/serve my 10 days here than to convalesce in Germany or (perhaps worse) find out I'm an asymptomatic positive at the end of my trip and serve out 10 days in a hotel for the COVID-19 positive in Germany.

Posted by
98 posts

Ok. I don't know about driving into Germany since I am flying and my airline, Icelandair, requires a test. Dave sounds correct for driving. Have a great trip.

Posted by
11315 posts

We arrived FRA this afternoon and had to advise the Passport Control officer that we were required to have the Einreiseanmeldung form as proof of vaccination. He didn’t know the US was “high risk!” One of his colleagues backed me up. Have the docs ready and pack along a link to the German Gov’t site for reference. Otherwise smooth sailing, almost empty plane from SEA to FRA.