We are isolating in Split, after 7 days on the Eastern Adriatic tour. We got Covid as we were finishing the Plitvice NP hike. We have been on the phone for hours trying to reach British Airways to cancel our flight from Dubrovnik back to London, booked for Saturday. We used a few Avios ($260 worth—BA’s ‘miles’) and VISA for the original booking. Last night we booked a flight directly from Split to London. We need to be in London as we fly home on Monday. We felt flying from Split was the best idea since we will be out of isolation on Friday—too late to reach Dubrovnik easily. If I can’t get that original booking canceled, will BA still allow us to fly to London from Spit AND then hop on our flight home Monday? These are all separate bookings due to the complexity of our trip which started in late Aug and because the London to US leg was strictly Avios.
Keep trying to cancel your Dubrovnik to London flight. As flight to US was booked on separate ticket through Avios it should not be affected if you are a no show for your original booking from Dubrovnik but just easiest all round if you can cancel it.
You might try to use online features such as chat or manage my booking. Also, make sure you are in touch with your travel insurance and get an”official “ positive test for your claim process. Sorry you are ill. At least there is a grocery across the street from the tour hotel.
You should be able to cancel the flight online through Manage My Booking.
I did this 2 weeks ago, canceling 2 alternative flights from Italy to London, after a planned walking holiday in the Lake District was canceled by the provider. (I booked flights on 2 different days because to have a backup in case BA canceled one of them due to restrictions at Heathrow).
For the flight I booked with Avios, I got the 40,00 Avios back within a week. For the flight booking I paid for, I got a voucher for future travel, in the full amount of the tickets I canceled. I used that to book a new flight from Italy to London a week later, still in time to catch our BA flight home to Seattle.
Since these are all separate bookings the cancellation will not affect your long haul flight home at all.
The good thing is all your tickets are separate bookings. You should have no problems flying from Split to London and then getting your flight back to the US. These flights will have no impact on each other. As for the flight from Dubrovnik to London, I would just try to manage the flight online. If you brought with points you should be able to cancel and they will be re-deposited. Just make sure you do this before the flight leaves otherwise you are considered a no-show and you will get zero refund.
I agree with all of you that I SHOULD be able to do this online via MyBooking. That’s how I typically make all my bookings. However, I only have my phone to use—and it isn’t giving me a Chat option. When I try to cancel the flight via the BA app, it flips me immediately over to an area for redepositing the Avios/and it obtaining a voucher. Then the site states it will email me if/when it decides the Avios can be redeposited or a voucher issued. It NEVER lets me cancel the ticket. I have tried several times.
YIPEE! Problem solved. I called BA once again while it was still middle of the night in the US and got through to a live agent quickly. She tried to tell me she would not be able to help me and that I needed to do it on line…I begged her for help. Perhaps she heard the desperation/frustration in my voice, for she relented. She cancelled the flight and waived the usual $50 charge. It seems as tho every time on this trip when I’ve been severely stymied, an Angel has appeared with assistance, translation or advice. Thank you all for trying to help me.
I am so glad to hear this. Now you can just focus on healing and your journey home.
Sometimes those phone apps don't seem to have all the features that fully work. Glad you finally got through to a live person and you got this resolved. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.