Please sign in to post.

Booster No Longer Required for Rick Steves Tours in 2023

To travel on a Rick Steves tour in 2022 you had to be fully vaccinated per CDC guidelines and boosted. For 2023, you just need to be fully vaccinated per CDC guidelines. I saw this online in the latest version of the Health and Safety Pledge and in the FAQs on COVID 19. I called and talked with a Rick Steves tour advisor yesterday and she confirmed that yes this is a change for 2023. Of course it's always possible it could change in the future, but definitely an easing of COVID 19 requirements.

Posted by
7514 posts

I think the biggest driver for requiring a booster, under certain conditions, was the requirement that nearly every European country defined fully vaccinated as the original course, and an mRNA Booster for most of the last year. That is no longer a requirement for entry to any European country (nor is a vaccination at all)

Posted by
8342 posts

I believe this title is misleading. If you google "What is fully vaccinated per CDC guidelines" it will take you the CDC website where it most certainly mentions boosters. I encourage people to do their own research on this topic.

I did find this one quote which supports the position of the OP
Am I still considered “fully vaccinated” if I don’t get a booster?
Yes, you are fully vaccinated even if you haven't gotten your booster yet. The definition of fully vaccinated does not include a COVID-19 booster. Fully vaccinated, however, is not the same as having the best protection. People are best protected when they stay up to date with COVID-19 vaccinations, which includes getting a booster when eligible.

However, the major emphasis on the site talks about boosters and which ones might be appropriate to provide maximum protection.

Posted by
1070 posts

Fully vaccinated per CDC, related to individuals who want to travel to the US defining the requirements to be allowed to enter..

You are considered fully vaccinated:

• 2 weeks (14 days) after your dose of an accepted single-dose vaccine
  • 2 weeks (14 days) after your second dose of an accepted 2-dose series
  • 2 weeks (14 days) after you received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine (not placebo) in a clinical trial
  • 2 weeks (14 days) after you received 2 doses of any “mix-and-match” combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines administered at least 17 days apart*

If you don’t meet these requirements, you are NOT considered fully vaccinated. A booster dose is not needed to meet this requirement.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/proof-of-vaccination.html

Posted by
7514 posts

I think the point of the OP is that previously, you were required to show a vaccination card with the original course and a booster to take the tour. Since then it is merely defined as "fully vaccinated per CDC guidelines" which the RS staff has concurred that means the original course only.

Of course, I do not think anyone is suggesting you should not get the booster, or that it is not a good thing, just defining a minimum requirement. As I stated, no country right now is requiring proof of vaccination or testing for travel, that does not mean they no longer think vaccinations are needed. You can do all the self research you want, but that is the way it stands now.

Posted by
3 posts

The intent of my post was to clarify the revised vaccination requirement. For some travelers this can mean the difference between going on a Rick Steves tour or not. It was never intended to be a statement for or against boosters.