Please sign in to post.

Women's Shoes: London and Paris

What are some good recommendations for a women's shoe that would be ideal for visiting London and Paris in the fall? I will be visiting London and Paris in October and I don't know what kind of travel shoes I should get. It's city travel, so I know I don't need hiking boots and I was considering a waterproof pair because I'm sure we're likely to encounter rainy weather. Should I get a sneaker or a casual shoe? Should I get both? If anyone has visited these two cities in the fall, I'd love to hear what you'd recommend or what you found worked best, including shoe combinations (one pair flats, one pair sneakers, etc.).

Posted by
3095 posts

Definitely take two pairs.

I find flats too flimsy and unsupportive for travel. I really like the Romika "Citylight" series which includes styles from loafers to ankle booties to taller boots.

I have this one:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/romika-city-light-45-loafer/3286897

And you can find similar ones on sale at Zapposor Sierra Trafding Post.

Here is an example of a boot in this series:

http://i.stpost.com/romika-citylight-07-ankle-boots-leather-side-zip-for-women-in-black~p~5529n_01~1500.3.jpg

These are very comply and supportive for lots of walking,,but very light weight.

For the other pair, maybe a cute sneaker?

Posted by
8 posts

Those City Lights look nice but I'd be concerned about them getting wet. I was also hoping to only bring one pair of shoes but I would be open to bringing an extra pair, like a pair of sneakers. I'd like something that looks casual and blends in well but can do the work of a sneaker (for when I'm not wearing the sneaker, of course!)

Posted by
3745 posts

Have a look at this long thread. There are some great suggestions here:
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/best-travel-shoes/women-s-travel-shoes

I wear New Balance tennis or running or walking shoes for London. Pounding the pavement all day long sightseeing is hard on your feet, so you need good support. Otherwise, you may end up each night back at the hotel room soaking your tired feet and ankles. Also, these shoes are good for being sure-footed on wet pavement if it rains, or climbing a steep staircase. It doesn't matter how cute your shoes are if they let you fall down a stone staircase, or break your ankle. New Balance can be found in cute colors and styles.

Yes, I would take a second pair of shoes, if you think you will be dressing up to go out for an expensive dinner. If you will only wear them for a couple of hours (and not out sightseeing) a comfy low heel dressy shoe would be good.

If you will also be wearing the second pair for sightseeing, make it comfy sandals, such as Keen or Merrell.

Posted by
19 posts

Paris in the fall can be damp and cold, and I don't like wearing sneakers in big cities (London & Paris) but I do like comfort and security. If you have bad feet (like I do) Mephistos and Naot are worth every penny. They are available at Zappos and other outlets.

Definitely take two pair of shoes. On our last trip my husband insisted only talking one pair. Then we got caught in a downpour and his shoes were soaked and it took days for them to be wearable again. He had to buy another pair of shoes... in Euros!

Posted by
1994 posts

I do well with a single pair of shoes – a pair of black walking shoes from New Balance that have a sole that allows me to use them for short hikes, but are plain enough that I can wear them with dressy pants/top/accessories and be presentable. I've worn them to the Paris Opera, other concerts, and nice restaurants and always felt presentable. The only other footwear I need are $2 flip-flops to wear around the hotel room.

Posted by
8 posts

That 's what I was leaning towards: a black pair of walking shoes that would look good with black pants, should we go to a place where sneakers would look out of place. I wanted a pair like that so I wouldn't have to bring a second pair of shoes however, Zinnia, after reading your husband's tale of woe, I decided that a second pair would be a good idea. I also found a video by one of Rick's tour guides, Sarah Murdoch, on packing light and right and it's an excellent resource that I think helps to answer my question (as well as so many others) so I thought I'd link to it here. It's a really fun video and extremely informative.

Thank you to everyone who responded!

Sarah Murdoch "Packing Light & Right"
http://youtu.be/hnbTgfimiCs

Posted by
10344 posts

You're going to walk miles during the day, so bring walking shoes.
But if you're thinking about going into a more formal restaurant in Paris, for dinner, you might want to bring a dressier pair.

Posted by
8 posts

Oh yes - I definitely am aware of the amount of walking - I'm certainly prepped for that. :)

As far as the dressier pair, I know I won't need them - fancy restaurants are not on the itinerary, just casual places. Two pairs of shoes that would work for walking and casual places but have the appearance of a work/casual shoe should be good.

Posted by
32 posts

I'm starting to plan for a fall trip to Europe and found these shoes at the Walk Shop in Berkeley. They are Waldlaufer Helli Dynamic walkers. By far they are the most comfortable walking shoes I've ever had. And they look really cool, I think better when you have them on than in the pictures. Mine are the black/grey color and they work with my skinny black jeans and leggings. The toe box looks small but is quite roomy. They are designed in Germany and manufactured in Hungary, so they have a Euro look. Waldlaufer Helli Dynamic walker I'll also probably bring a waterproof Teva de la Vina low black boot.

Regina

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for the suggestion but I feel that doing a lot of walking and sightseeing is best suited for a walking shoe. I think a comfortable shoe that is made for walking but looks respectable would be good. Since my initial post, I found these at Zappos. I think they'd do well with some simple black pants and could also work with jeans or yoga pants or something like that.

Posted by
13905 posts

Alloro, those shoes look like they will be really comfortable. You need to get some miles on them before you go. Take a 2nd pr in case you have rain and they get wet.

PS I am betting the post above yours suggesting high heel women shoes is a spam link. Silly suggestion and incorrect grammar to boot.

Posted by
6 posts

Hey everyone! I was looking a around the forum and came here because I have some experience in this area. I was traveling in Italy with my mother and I bought her a two pairs of shoes for the trip. There were actually some womens diabetes shoes that were referred to me by my wife's sister. They were very plush and my mom didn't complain at all about here feet.

If you aren't going anywhere "nice" to eat, I would just bring a pair of sneakers for lighter travel. Here's the link to the mary jane shoes

Posted by
212 posts

I do get to travel to Europe every year and I do try to balance the practical part of shoes with the cute factor. I only wear sneakers at home to go to the gym or exercise class so they are a no go for me. I will be in London and Paris this fall as well as England's midlands and Normandy. I bought these http://us.shop.ecco.com/outdoor-women-most-popular/ecco-wmns-biom-lite-ballerina-802173.html?dwvar_802173_color=59932 and these http://www.zappos.com/ecco-dayla-ballerina-ice-flower-troopper?ef_id=VNebRAAAAFNOYRnr:20150515121638:s . I do want to add I bought them at an ECCO outlet and paid $100 total for the two. I have worn them on my around here walks of around 2 miles and they are perfect!. I will take both pair (as well as a total throw away pair of sneakers for mud larking in London).