Please sign in to post.

San Francisco East Bay Travel Group Meeting - Feb 13, 2024 (in person, everyone welcome)

Please join our East Bay (San Francisco area) Travel Group meetings!
We welcome newcomers and visitors who happen to be in the area to join us.

WHEN: Feb 13, 2024 @ 12:30pm PT (rain date for Jan 31, 2024)
Please RSVP on this thread if you'd like to join us.
Note: this is separate from our online meeting on January 13.

WHERE: in-person, please message me for the location
I will wait until I can see the weather forecast to decide whether we need a location with an indoor option. If weather permits, the meeting will be outdoors.

Bring your photo books and journals to share the trips you've taken, ask questions about your upcoming trips, and swap travel stories with others who enjoy talking about travel!

PREVIEWS: next in-person meetings:
Thu, March 28, 2024
Thu, April 25, 2024
Thu, June 27, 2024
Thu, July 25, 2024
Thu, Oct 24, 2024

Posted by
106 posts

Added to my calendar! Look forward to seeing you all in-person. :)
Lynn

Posted by
708 posts

Excellent! Looking forward to it. Sorry I missed Jan 13th.

Posted by
52 posts

I have added this on my calendar and should be able to make it. Looking forward to meeting everyone in person!

Posted by
10266 posts

I’m going to try to figure out how to make it. My East Bay brothers both have birthdays this month and I was hoping to get down there and take them out to dinner. Maybe I’ll see if we can take them to dinner on the 31st.

Posted by
4700 posts

Thank you, everyone, for the RSVPs, which helps me with space planning, which isn't quite as easy as Zoom ;-)

Posted by
4700 posts

The forecast for Jan 31 is a long way out, but it does currently show rain. The following week looks better.

It's way too early to make weather decisions, but please let me know your preference if you'd rather meet inside on the 31st, reschedule for the following week (or later) in February.

Keep in mind that our next online meeting will be Sat, Feb 10th.

Posted by
752 posts

I still like to meet outdoors. The following week works fine with me if the weather is looking better.

Posted by
4700 posts

Christine, I think many of us feel the same way, so thanks for your feedback.

I also know that it can be harder for some people to change their schedules, so I'd also appreciate any feedback along those lines. If it helps, I can pick a day the following week so that people can pencil it in as a rain backup date.

Posted by
1307 posts

So far I could meet up on either Jan 31st or February 8th.
I look forward to seeing everyone in person.

Posted by
10266 posts

Since I’m trying to coordinate seeing my brothers with going to the meeting so we only have one trip down there, the 8th doesn’t work for me. One of my brothers will be leaving the country on the 7th and be gone most of February. It’s not a big deal though. Obviously you need to do what works for the majority.

Posted by
4700 posts

The weather on Jan 31 still says "rain" (6 hours of it) but the following week doesn't look much better. Most everyone has said they'd prefer to stay outside. So we'll stick with Jan 31 for now.

The Veranda in Concord has quite a few covered tables, just to the left of Crepe La Fontaine and also a few on at least one end of the building, maybe both. I'll go early and try to get one of those. (Shouldn't be a problem on a weekend.)

TIME: 1-3pm, Jan 31st
LOCATION: The Veranda, Concord, covered table if rainy and otherwise the usual location in front of Crepe La Fontaine

Please let me know if you will still try to come if it's a bit rainy, so that I have a count. If it's pouring, I will probably cancel.

PLEASE WATCH THIS THREAD closely for updates as I continue to monitor the forecast.

Posted by
1513 posts

I think we’ll still try to go. I will bring our Azores photo book.

Posted by
1307 posts

I'll try to come (unless the rain is too strong.)
I enjoy seeing everyone.

Posted by
10266 posts

I doubt we will make it since we went to Berkeley yesterday. If we decide to come I’ll let you know in advance.

Posted by
4700 posts

Terrific, if it's light rain, I'll get a table under cover. If it's heavy rain, I'll watch the forecast for the following week and see if there is a promising day. Checking the forecast this morning, Jan 31 looks worse, not better. The following week shows showers every day.

I'll take this over drought, though. Please watch this thread!

Posted by
705 posts

I also plan to come if the rain is light and I feel comfortable driving.

Posted by
4700 posts

The forecast for tomorrow says "showers" at noon and "rain" at 1pm, but still very light totals. At this point, I'm going to say that I'll still go. But I will look outside tomorrow and decide.

Please watch this space (and the sky) tomorrow morning!

Next week also shows showers and rain.
How is Tues Feb 13th as a new date?

Posted by
1307 posts

I'm not thrilled with the idea of driving on the freeways in the rain... so I'll probably reluctantly skip tomorrow.
Have a lovely time if you do get together. And I'll let Catherine know if I can make it after all.
But I am available on Feb 13th and will make a note in my calendar "just in case..."
I'm also available March 28th and have noted that as well.

Posted by
1513 posts

We can’t go on February 13 but next week is ok. If you decide to have it tomorrow we will probably go. We’re fine with whatever you decide.

Posted by
708 posts

Apologies, I won't be able to make the in-person meeting tomorrow either, it really does look like the Bay Area is going to get a lot of rain!

Posted by
4700 posts

Well, sadly the forecast has not improved. The showers are supposed to turn to rain right around our meeting time. And there's a wind advisory.

The forecast for Feb 13th is 62 and mostly sunny.... I'll be at The Veranda!!

Posted by
106 posts

Good call on the re-schedule, weather sounds like it'll be horrific tomorrow! I have a painting class that ends at 12:30 pm in Walnut Creek on Feb 13 so will not be there until after 1:00 pm but plan to come. I'll stop at home first and pick up Bella as she'll have been crated all morning. :)

Posted by
4700 posts

I'll be there by 1230. We'll see you and Bella when you get there!

Posted by
1513 posts

CWSocial, what are you doing up at 1:24 AM???
😏. We’ll miss the get together but we’ll be trying to rest up for a busy and exciting but tiring day. Hope to see everyone in the next couple of months!

Posted by
4700 posts

Hah, excellent question, Carol! Last night was the first night of the SF Ballet, for me. I think the strobe lights and techno music performance over stimulated my brain. Quite a contrast from the more traditional Don Quixote in Budapest!!

Posted by
4700 posts

It's annoying right now because it's not raining in Concord. At this moment. But if the forecast is accurate, it all starts in these next few hours and I will also be glad to stay off the roads!

Posted by
1307 posts

I should be able to make the 13th!
I'm happy for the reschedule and look forward to it!

Posted by
4700 posts

I just stepped outside. It's cold and rainy and windy. Good decision everyone, see you on Feb 13th!

Sorry that we will miss you, Carol, but we look forward to stories when you're back!!

Posted by
1513 posts

Thanks, CWSocial! I'm glad you had a great reason for being up so late :). It's been raining off and on here and a bit breezy. Not pleasant weather for eating outside, so good call.

Posted by
708 posts

Yep, hopefully see you Feb 13, 2024 @ 12:30pm. Happy to talk about Rome at NYE.

Posted by
4700 posts

The early forecast for Feb 13th is "mostly sunny" and 65F, perfect for our in-person get together!

Catherine

Posted by
4700 posts

We are on for tomorrow at our Concord location. If you're not familiar with where that is, please drop me a message.

I'll get there a bit before 1230 to get a table.

CW

Posted by
4700 posts

We're on for this afternoon. Forecast is 61F. I'll get a table near our usual spot at our Concord location.

See you soon!

Posted by
4700 posts

Thank you to everyone who came to our travel get together today. It is such a luxury to meet in person and swap travel plans over coffee and a crepe! We all have a lot of trips in the works!

Posted by
752 posts

Thank you CWsocial for hosting the travel meeting today! Such an enjoyable afternoon sitting around the table talking travel with fellow travelers.

Posted by
708 posts

Thanks again CWsocial, a delightful meeting with such a great variety of travel experiences... and wonderful ideas. I learned a LOT!

Here's my link about using the automated gantries in Germany to enter / exit Schengen WITH prior permission from the German border police. This is not something you can just do when you arrive in a major German airport! You have to exit security & find the Bundes polizei office (which was the most difficult part). I had downloaded & filled out the application ahead of time, so it only took about 10 minutes max (don't remember exactly) once I found the correct office. Now I can enter / exit Schengen using the automated gantry in any German airport, which I just did in mid January, 2024. So it worked!!

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/germany/got-easy-pass-german-automated-gate-entry-april-2023

Posted by
4700 posts

Thanks for that Easy Pass info, Sandancisco! I also transit regularly through FRA and MUC, with long layovers, and could gain value from this. I'll look into doing it the next time I have one of my 4 or 5 hour layovers, thanks!