Please sign in to post.

visa?

We will be taking a cruise next summer which ends in Istanbul. We then will stay 2-3 nights and fly home from there. Do we need a Visa? It seems like from what I read the answer is yes but doublechecking

Posted by
699 posts

If you are coming from the US, you will need an e-visa, which is basically just a tourism tax. Make sure to get it from the official government site at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/. There are a lot of third parties that will be happy charge you extra for it.

Posted by
610 posts

As a cruise ship passenger for a day visit you don’t need a visa. The cruise line has an arrangement for the port visit. However because you are staying a few days you are required to be in possession of an eVisa. Because your cruise ends in Istanbul that would imply that your visit is not just for a day thus it would seem that the cruise line should handle the visa arrangements or at least advise you what you need to do. Check with them to see what they’re providing. If they are not then an eVisa can be obtained online at the official Turkish site for $50. Other sites are charging about $75 or more.

Posted by
150 posts

We just did the evisa process for our trip to Istanbul next weekend. It was easy and we got our visas immediately.

Posted by
35 posts

Can one show the e-visa to the authorities upon arrival electronically, for example, on the mobile phone, or is the paper copy required? TIA

Posted by
27120 posts

I just did this in September, and I had nothing on paper. To tell you the truth, I don't remember that anyone asked to see the visa; I flew in, and I assumed the e-visa was flagged on a passenger list provided ahead of time to the Immigration officials.

Posted by
557 posts

I had a paper copy ready to show and the immigration official waved me off, saying they could see it electronically.

Posted by
1371 posts

Ask your cruise operator. The Visa is easy to obtain online. We visited Turkey back in November, had our Visas, but never showed them to anyone.

Posted by
143 posts

So if you are there as a tourist you don’t need a visa?

Posted by
13 posts

I think Evise works fine for 2 to 3 nights but i'll suggest you to check on their official website.

Posted by
8381 posts

It is unfortunate that this thread has been resurrected because so much of the information is outdated and incorrect until the very end. I urge the original Poster to delete this thread.