Please sign in to post.

Visa

We are thinking of a trip to Istanbul this fall. We had one planned a few years ago but Turkey denied US tourists from entering the country on a visa. Is that still the policy or can US citizens now enter the country on a tourist visa?

whubb

Posted by
16893 posts

That was a very short-lived tit-for-tat reaction to an action by the US government. It's not currently an issue. You must buy the visa online before you go: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/.

Posted by
8293 posts

I seem to remember a discussion just recently on the forum about the visa for Turkey and that it is available at the airport .

Posted by
2739 posts

It can be purchased there, but that is another long line to wait through, prior to the lengthy immigration line which took us almost an hour, and likely without Turkish currency.

Posted by
7049 posts

I wouldn't get it at the airport, the long lines are the reason why Turkey instituted the e-VISA to begin with. Save time and just get it online, it's very easy. Use the official website: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Posted by
16893 posts

They've been trying to discontinue visa purchase at the airport for years and the first link provided by wbfey1 mentions Turkey's renewed intention to do so in 2018. If kiosks have not already disappeared, expect that it could happen at any time.

Posted by
35 posts

Just use the link to get it that Agnes posted. It's super easy and quick.

Posted by
811 posts

I was just in IST this summer, line was very short at the airport to buy the visa. I flew from munich to IST, the visa counter is right next to the custom. Maybe you see long lines when you fly from the US where too many people need visa.

Posted by
1 posts

We're trying to get the e-
visas for a trip planned for late May. The site asks for the date of arrival, but will not allow us to enter a date more than three months from now. Is it a bad idea to enter an earlier date as our date of arrival? We want to get the visa now rather than later because we're being asked for the visa number when making an airline reservation from Izmir to Istanbul.