Please sign in to post.

Turkey trip - Feb/March 2023 - any ideas?

Hi guys,
My husband and I are planning a trip to Turkey mid Feb to mid March 2023. I was there in 2014 for about 3 weeks and spent time in Istanbul, Cappadocia, Pammukale, Ankara, Fethyie, Konya, Gallipoli, Troy, Cannakkale, Ephesus, Pergamon and Kusadasi. Now I would like my husband to see some of the sites I really enjoyed including Ephesus (as I think it's a very special place) and some of the western coastline which is new for both of us (especially as the weather north and east will be cool) and also the south, potentially Antalya (again so we can enjoy some better weather). I was hoping to get your recommendations on places we should visit in the South, the western coastline (I found Fethyie beautiful but in July 2014 it felt too commercialized for me to really enjoy it) and also anywhere else between the south and the Ephesus region. We are also open to travelling inland. We will most likely hire a car where it's needed and are open to using public transport as well. We are 32 years of age, love the outdoors (but not huge on spending too much time on the beach - which won't be happening in Feb/March anyways), love a good hike/walk, some history, some relaxation (open to staying in resort for some of the trip) and love a town where we can walk around/get treats/have coffee and just explore etc. Hope that's enough information. Thanks in advance for your help. Marija

Posted by
6788 posts

If you’re going to be in/around Antalya, put Termessos on your list (it’s within day-trip distance). If going to Ephesus or Pamukkale, don’t miss Aphrodisias (a little further, but worth it).

Posted by
2126 posts

I think you would enjoy Kas, a pretty little town on a harbor with lots of activities, including kayaking over a sunken city or a day trip ferry to the lovely Greek island of Kastellorizo, although I don’t know what’s available in Feb/March. You’d have to check with a local hotel.

We loved Patara, close to Kas, mainly for our stay at Akay Pension. It’s a tiny town with an archeological site (which you will likely have all to yourself), a piece of the Lycean Way footpath, and a long sandy beach (at that time of year, mostly for walking on). Akay Pension is small, very inexpensive, clean, run by a lovely family, and fed us the best food we had in Turkey.

We also enjoyed Dalyan, just up the coast from Patara. Here we stayed at Hotel Kilim, just across the river from some Lycean Tombs on the hillside. Dalyan has many British visitors so you’ll see signs for “Full English Breakfasts”, which surprised us. It also has a sea turtle nesting beach & hospital. And offers riverboat excursions (again not sure about your time of year).

We only visited Fethiye briefly one day and felt as you did — we much preferred these small places.

Posted by
697 posts

Another thumbs up for a day trip to Termessos if you are staying in Antalya. It's a beautiful and relaxing hike.

Sagalassos is on my list, too, although I haven't been yet.

If you stay in Antalya, I strongly recommend staying in Kaleici/Old Town. There are tons of boutique hotels there, and it's a very different vibe from the resort hotels along the coast.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks the reply Charlene and Marie - very helpful! We'll be able to cover these spots in our month in Turkey. Old town in Antalya seems much better suited to us, good tip.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you for a comprehensive reply Darius. Unfortunately as beautiful and historic as it sounds we won't be going south East (for number of reasons) but are planning a south and south west trip, did you have any ideas for that side of Turkey?