Please sign in to post.

Solo traveler

Hello! I am trying to decide and plan where I want to go next spring. As a solo traveler for the first time, I am wondering about how safe or difficult Turkey would be as a woman alone before and after the tour. Any advice or info would be appreciated!

Posted by
4603 posts

My friend and I (both female) took the Best of Istanbul and Best of Turkey tours this spring, with independent days before in Istanbul and after in Kusadasi. We felt very safe together. I got up early every day in Istanbul and wandered by myself for an hour or so before breakfast with normal precautions, but no reservations.

Posted by
3 posts

I haven't decided yet which RSE Turkey tour I will take. Never having traveled alone before I am a bit nervous.

Posted by
4603 posts

One nice thing about a tour is that you've got built-in travel companions.

I wanted to see more of Istanbul, so I took both tours. Perhaps my "3 weeks in Turkey" on-the-road trip report will give you some ideas!

Posted by
2375 posts

I would put your extra time after the tour. By then you will likely be more comfortable and confident about traveling alone.

Posted by
6310 posts

I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Turkey traveling solo and never had any problems. I traveled solo all over - mostly by bus - and went from Istanbul to Goreme, then Fethiye, Ephesus and Izmir and always felt safe. In fact, the Turks are some of the friendliest people in the world and will go well out of their way to help you.

I would encourage you to learn a little bit of Turkish before you go - it's not difficult and people there will really appreciate it. If you'd like to read my online travel journal, here is a link - https://mardeeinturkey.wordpress.com - that might help you to get a sense of the country.

Posted by
697 posts

I like LizInPA's suggestion to do the solo part at the end of the tour. I have always felt safe traveling solo in Turkey, but I am glad that my introduction to Turkey was on a tour. The tour really helped me to get my bearings before setting off on my own.