Please sign in to post.

Sim card

Can someone explain the benefit of getting a SIM card while in Turkey for one month of travel? Why not just turn the phone off when not in a free wifi zone?
Thanks
John

Posted by
627 posts

Well, if you are able to manage getting around, etc, without internet access,
then turning off your phone can work. But with plans like Verizon, etc, you're
paying for the day as soon as you turn your phone on, so you're dependent
on wifi for the entire day.

And if you trust your phone security when using free wifi, I have land in the
Everglades for sale....

The cost of a local SIM card is pretty low compared to the rest of the cost
of your trip.

Posted by
219 posts

We used an eSim from GigSky for our 5-week trip to Italy last fall, and it worked flawlessly. I refused to pay $10/day to Verizon for data access, knowing we'd use it every day for navigation, access to destination info, etc. I initially purchased 5Gb plan then topped it up a bit about 10 days before we left Italy.

If you'd like to try it, you can save $3 on a plan with promo code GOOD149. (Full disclosure: I'll receive a $3 credit as well.)

Posted by
27809 posts

Have you been to Turkiye before? It's not quite as straightforward a place to visit as a lot of the countries farther west.

• Depending on what mapping program you use, you may need to reload your map from time to time because the signal dropped. There are some very narrow streets in some parts of Istanbul.

• Traffic in Istanbul is an experience. If you're using public transportation, you'll need internet connectivity to get real-time arrival projections. That's something I don't normally even think about--buses and trams come along so often it's not an issue. Istanbul was different, and I found myself checking Google Maps or CityMapper quite often to see what convoluted combination of transportation modes made the most sense at the moment.

• You may need to look things up on the internet because you're not in an area full of English-speakers. And this is a country where people sometimes don't understand English very well even if they appear to speak it.

• You may want to check the ratings of nearby restaurants when you're hungry.

• You may see something at a museum or historic site you want to know more about.

When I was in Istanbul last fall, there was no tourist information office north of the Golden Horn (near Taksim Square and Istiklal Caddesi). That led to some Googling for answers to questions I might have asked the tourist office.

I used an Airalo eSIM because Google Fi cut me off before the end of my (long) trip. I was very happy with it. I don't remember what I paid for the month--probably about $20 or $30. I think I opted for 5 GB of data because I generally use about 1 GB a week.

Posted by
2 posts

I've always used the Airalo eSIM app when traveling internally (including Turkey) and never had any issues with coverage. They are reasonably priced. Just make sure your phone is unlocked and compatible for eSIM to be able to use this service