Please sign in to post.

Safety in Istanbul

We are considering a cruise from Istanbul to Athens. How safe is Istanbul for American visitors now? There appear to be increased cautions and alerts because of a rise in anti-American sentiment, especially related to the Mid-East crisis. Has anyone been recently (or currently lives there)? Thank you for your input.(This is not a political post…please don’t make it one.)

Posted by
27119 posts

I had no issues whatsoever in October, but that was three months ago. I'd have no concern about going now, but I tend not to worry a great deal about geopolitical issues when I travel.

Posted by
8378 posts

I’m going in October. Things would have to change dramatically before I would stay home.

Posted by
2341 posts

I was there in September/October and had no concerns about my personal safety, other than taking the usual precautions when visiting a large, crowded metropolitan area with thousands of tourists (stay alert, keep your valuables stowed, etc). The Turkish people were warm and friendly and appreciated tourist business. Even with current events, I would go to Istanbul tomorrow (but I wouldn't fly over or near certain countries to get there).

But it's your comfort level to consider, not mine. Review the US State Department travel guidance generally, and for Turkey specifically, and sign up for STEP notices that will alert you to a change in status. Make a decision as best you can given that information. And as for any trip, if you do go make sure you know what your travel insurance covers for cancellations and how much they will cover of pre-funded arrangements - e.g., some policies don't cover specific events or allow cancelations for any reason.

Posted by
6788 posts

I was there in October - in the early days of the Gaza war (in fact, just as the purported Israeli "attack" on that hospital was being so widely reported). I saw on the TV news that there were demonstrations in Istanbul and Ankara, but I saw no sign of any of them. I did see a large presence of police/soldiers/security forces stationed outside several foreign embassies on/just off the always-busy İstiklal Street (a super-popular "walking street" through the New Town, always filled with domestic and international tourists) - but that may be Business As Usual for them. I saw no hint at all of any "anti-American sentiments", indeed we were always warmly welcomed and shown kindness and respect by pretty much everyone we interacted with.

I agree with CL above - I'd go to Istanbul tomorrow (or even today). Just use the same common sense precautions that you would when visiting any big city, whether that's Barcelona, Rome, Miami or Seattle.

Posted by
17919 posts

I love Istanbul. I would do trip tomorrow if I could. BUT, let's not kid ourselves. It's a freaking crazy world right now, and Americans are targets and I suspect there are more who hate Americans in Turkey than in Austria. But nothing will happen unless it does.

Posted by
1371 posts

This past November we spent 4 nights/3 days in the Old Town area without any problems. We also visited Selcuk and Kilyos for multiple nights/days without any problems. As long as you avoid sketchy areas you should be fine.

Posted by
17919 posts

Yesterday is of no consequence. Each of us has to decide if tomorrow's risk is too great or not. I was in Ukraine shortly before 24 February 2022 and it was perfectly safe. Meant nothing in the long run. Don't get me wrong, I would go to Istanbul tomorrow if someone paid. I would be a lot more cautious and I would follow the news all day while I was there. Istanbul has been the victim of tourist directrd terrorist attscjs in the past and there are a lot of Turks that dont like America. But I love the place and the people, so I would go, and that's my choice. But I won't argue that it's the most prudent thing to do right now.

Posted by
54 posts

I'm late to the party, but I can't resist weighing in.
Yes, the US websites will tell you to be concerned somewhat for your safety, but my son who lives in Istanbul says he has a better chance of getting shot in the US.
I concur, having visited in Istanbul twice.

Posted by
150 posts

We live in Jordan and were in Istanbul in late October, and felt perfectly safe. It was our first trip there but I can't imagine it was much different than prior to the war in Gaza. There was a large protest in the new town that coworkers- who were also there at the same time- accidentally ran into, but it was peaceful. I felt safe as an American (and I do in Jordan, too).

Posted by
17919 posts

You know Istanbul may be incrediably safe. Like I said, I love the place and I would probalby go back tomorrow if someone was buying. I generally limit travels to where i would not be unwelcome in a kippah and Istanbul is a bit questionable for that.

But, "I went and I felt safe" really means absolutely nothing. I wont be crass or disrespectful by listing all of the horrible events involving people who "felt safe" over the past few years. Just do your research. See if you feel comfortable but dont think for a moment that you are not entering a place with a totally different set of rules, as compared to your US suburb, when it comes to safety.

Posted by
183 posts

Whenever anyone goes to another country, we are under the laws and rules of that country, including Hungry. Istanbul and 99% of Turkey is very safe for tourists. Any of us could be in a car wreck tomorrow, but that doesn’t stop us from going about our daily business. Istanbul is very safe. Just as safe as Paris or lots of other European cities. There are tons of unsafe things happening in Paris, yet millions of Americans flock there without any thought. Istanbul is no different.

To the OP: go to Istanbul and any part of Turkey and enjoy the history, the food, and very friendly people.

Posted by
1 posts

Hello,

Did you decide to take the cruise from Istanbul and if yes, how was your experience in Istanbul?

We are considering visiting for a few nights in June at the end of a Greece trip. I am undecided on Istanbul as I visited once with a friend in 2015. We were only there a couple nights and it was beautiful and would love to go back.

Posted by
17919 posts

There have been bombings in Istanbul in 2015 (Sultanahmet district), 2016 (Atatürk Airport and a sports arena), 2022 (Taksim Square area) and 2024 (Catholic Church) .... so the odds of another in the next few years are pretty low.

Posted by
2114 posts

Half kidding, but also half serious: Maybe wear a shirt or hat with the Canadian flag?

Posted by
1943 posts

We were in Istanbul during the war in Syria and a week before the tourist group suicide bombing in old town Istanbul.

Did I feel safe, yes even with the war on. You will see Turkey is a big country and Istanbul is pretty far away from any conflict.

Most of the Turkish people are delightful and honestly, I've never met so many helpful people that went out of their way to make us feel at home and have a good time. Most Turkish people know the difference between the American government and Americans.

Again, I can't tell you nothing bad will happen as it seems to be the nature of the world today. I can say that everyone at home was worried for us and while we were their the Boston Marathon bombing happened. Really weird watching the panic and news from Boston while sitting in the relative calm of Istanbul.

The State Dept seems to have warnings on half of the countries right now. If I heeded them all, we wouldn't be going to Mexico next week. My only advice, stay alert, be aware of your surroundings and if you feel uncomfortable-move to a different location. I do think everyone should see Istanbul once as it's an easy introduction to the Muslim part of the world. Going to the mosques, visiting the sights and even watching how people behaved during the call to pray(some headed while many others ignored it) made me realize how antiquated some of our American stereotypes of this region still are.

Posted by
17919 posts

Half kidding, but also half serious: Maybe wear a shirt or hat with
the Canadian flag?

Sure, good idea. The two most recent bombs in the Istanbul tourist areas were designed to be ineffective on Canadians.

Posted by
2130 posts

We were in Istanbul last week. It was the last stop on our Mediterranean/Adriatic cruise. We did a two day extension and enjoyed exploring the city. We were aware of our surroundings like anywhere else but did not feel unsafe. There was airport-like security to enter the hotel and scanners at the Grand Bazaar. We entered the mosques and other sites without any issues.