Please sign in to post.

Pre tour hotel

Going on the best of Turkey tour in Oct. and want to spend a few days in advance. I’m wondering if it’s best to find a hotel in the same neighborhood as the tour hotel (which appears to be booked up), or stay in a different area that might be closer to other sights.

Posted by
85 posts

The Hilton Double tree Old Town is in the middle of everything. You can walk to all the sites.

Posted by
3244 posts

On my first trip to Istanbul I stayed at a Best Western in Sultanamet. On my next trip I rented an Air B&B apartment near the Galata Tower.I don’t know if I would want to go through the hassle of switching hotels. Istanbul has a great public transportation system that makes it easy from going place to place.

Posted by
5122 posts

If you have 2 extra nights, I'd suggest staying in the same area as the tour to simplify switching. If you've got 4 extra nights, and perhaps even 3, you might consider exploring and staying in a new area.

If I assume your Best of Turkey tour is staying in the Old Town area, then a possible second location is the New District. Our Best of Istanbul tour stayed in the very nice Haze Hotel. It is across the Galata Bridge from Old Town and makes a nice base for the Galata Tower and walking along the Bosphorus.

Posted by
8765 posts

I have a reservation at the Nippon Hotel in Taksim Square for this September. The #16 bus from the airport stops at the hotel next door (Point Hotel Taksim) making the transfer in from the airport efficient and inexpensive. The hotel itself is also reasonably priced.

Posted by
2575 posts

My tour hotel (Galata's Hotel) was in Karakoy so I chose to stay in Sultanahmet area for the two nights ahead of my tour. Though it was busier and noisier, it was nice to be close to the historic area and I got to sit on the roof top of the hotel and listen to the call to prayer from both Hagia Sofia and the Blue Mosque. So cool. My hotel (Agora Guesthouse) was not fancy at all but the location was fantastic and it is right between two properties that RS uses for tours. I walked from my hotel to the nearest tram stop (Sultanahmet) and rode across the river and walked to Galata's, but you could easily catch a cab to transfer.

Posted by
916 posts

The tour hotel is the Galata’s, and I will have four extra nights, but I’m a solo traveller so trying to keep the price down. I was considering a VRBO until I came across this in the guidebook update section:

Short-term vacation rentals offered through Airbnb and other services are not currently advisable in Turkey (due to a new law that allows police to expel renters if neighbors object). It's best to book a hotel that carries a Ministry of Tourism badge (which applies to all our recommended places).

Posted by
916 posts

Thanks CL, I did find that post, and have been working my way through it, it’s quite comprehensive!
I see there are a lot of hotels in the area near Hagia Sophia, so that area might be a good option, as it seems there are several sights around there. I don’t need luxury, but maybe a place that includes breakfast for a reasonable price. I’ve looked at some listings that tack on $30 for breakfast, but that’s far to much for what I usually eat in the morning.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi Anita. I am also on one of the Best of Turkey tours in October. I was able to secure additional pre-tour nights at the first hotel by emailing the hotel directly with the email provided on our tour page. If they are booked up, you can also email Rick Steves tours for recommendations in addition to the great suggestions offered on this forum

Posted by
15 posts

Hi Anita - we are also on an October Best of Turkey tour. We are staying two nights at the Sultanahmet Palace Hotel. We chose it for the location and the views of the Blue Mosque from our room.