Please sign in to post.

Late August 2020

Looking for a tour guide for our family who is especially good with children since we will travel with a 10 year old girl. Does anyone know which hamam would allow a 10 year old girl, preferably segregated?

Posted by
7049 posts

I don't know about a guide, but I wouldn't recommend a Turkish bath for a 10 year old. I have been to a few hamams and have never seen a child there. Their skin really doesn't need the rough treatment one would get there to cause the dead skin to slough off. Plus the child may simply be a bit scared off by the experience, it's quite a cultural experience (I got yelled at in some language that didn't sound like Turkish and I wasn't expecting the soap suds to come down on my head/eyes). By the way, all hamams are segregated by gender - and I would highly recommend one for an adult (in spite of its quirks).

Posted by
90 posts

Edward, I would recommend you two hamams.
1. Cagaloglu hamami: Its is about 300 yeard old Hamam and it is very famous in Turkey. It also appeared in New York times.
https://www.cagalogluhamami.com.tr/

2. Cemberlitas Hamami: It was constructed by Mimar Sinan in 1584
https://www.cemberlitashamami.com/cemberlitas-bath-historical-turkish-bath/

Your 10 yeard old girl will be fine with you. You do not need to look for any other hamam. You can choose either one. They are the best in Turkey by far.

Posted by
183 posts

I am a frequent traveler to Turkey. When friends go with me I hire a tour guide because they know the history of Turkey and the historical sights very well, The tour guide I have hired three times speaks excellent English, has a great sense of humor, and is very knowledgeable and passionate about the history of Istanbul and all of Turkey. His name is Metin. His email is: metinkoca@gmail.com
Metin’s cell number is +90 (533) 322 00 85. For texts to his phone number, please use the app called WhatsApp. Sending messages using WhatsApp is free. Very popular app in Turkey. Metin mainly does tour guiding in Istanbul. If you need a tour guide for other parts of Turkey he can arrange that for you. Metin is not a friend of mine, nor do I benefit financially or in any way by recommending him. He is an excellent tour guide and it is good to recommend him so others will enjoy a very rich visit to Istanbul.