Please sign in to post.

Kusadasi?

We've toured Ephesus on another trip and would like to know if there is anything else to do in this area. Would just walking around the port city be worth it?

Thanks,

Jean

Posted by
11156 posts

North of Izmir, you will find the ancient and very interesting site of Pergamon.

Posted by
99 posts

Consider taking a tour to Pamukkale. It's not very far away from Kusadasi and there are tours that take you there.

Posted by
183 posts

Def see Pamukkale (about 3 hours by car from Kusadasi), Milletos, Didyma, Pirene (those three are usually done in one day), and Pergamon. Also, you can do a one day trip to the Greek Island of Samos. Ferries depart from Kusadasi. You can go and come back same day. There are tours of all these sights. Much easier to do local day tours than try to do it yourself renting a car.

Posted by
495 posts

Thanks all for your suggestions....

Is there anything to see right in the port?

Jean

Posted by
183 posts

I would be visiting in early November. Sounds like everything will be closed down! I visited the Greek Island of Rhodes last November. Took the ferry from Marmaris. The ferry was choppy. Chatted with interesting people on the ferry. I was with two friends. We were lucky that there was a huge cruise ship docked for the day. Many store owners said they had pretty much closed for the season but opened up for that day to serve the cruise passengers. Restaurants were all open too, same reason. The cruise was a Mediterranean cruise that started in Rome. I will try to find out if Samos has any cruise ships visiting ever. And if yes, are there any while I will be there.

Posted by
495 posts

Please, is there anything to see right in Port? We really have seen everything on the Ephesus Tour to the Historic Ruins & Virgin Mary's last known home. Don't really want to another tour outside the city if there is anything to see right in Port.

Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
230 posts

I assume you're arriving on a cruise ship? Across the street from the cruise port is a refurbished caravanserai, which was a trading post for the Silk Road. Not much to see inside. About 1/2 mile West of the cruise port is the fort on Bird Island. Sometimes it's called a castle. It is free to visit, has good interpretive signs, and is like a park on the island. Ladies Beach is about 2 miles away (West), but easy by taxi or bus. This is were Europeans go. While on the waterfront downtown, look West to the hilltop with the statue and view the rainbow colored apartments.
While we were in Kusadasi we enjoyed strolling the waterfront. There are many good restaraunts along the waterfront boulevard.

Posted by
2126 posts

We were in Kusadasi for a couple of hours after a visit to Ephesus. I remember a Turkish bazaar, which was fun to wander through. There are some interesting mosques that you could visit. And just strolling the waterfront is pleasant. Plenty of places to stop for snacks or drinks. There are no world class sights right in Kusadasi but I think there’s enough for a relaxing, low-key day.

Posted by
2073 posts

The waterfront area is pleasant. So are a few shopping areas just off the waterfront. Not much to see though. We had a great seafood dinner near where lots of fishing boats moor but I don’t remember the name. The food we had along the waterfront was not good. Choose wisely.

Posted by
495 posts

Thanks Charlene I'll look for the bazaar & mosques and Diane we'll walk the waterfront. At least this gives us something to do off the ship while others are touring the ruins. I was hoping to see something of interest!
Jean