Please sign in to post.

Help. Turkey or Greece for 2023

I keep going back and forth. Deep down I really want to visit Turkey but have never done a tour and am nervous about the amount of walking to stay with the group. I am female in my late 70s and in excellent health. Thinking of Best of Turkey in May (weather in high 60sF).

My partner and I have travelled Europe using RS guide books but now I need to set out on my own.

Posted by
4590 posts

During my Best of Turkey tour this late May/June, I logged 5-10 miles daily. Generally the pace was moderate, and spaced throughout the day between bus rides. The first 2 days in the city were more consistent walking, but on the lower end of the miles. I did a fair amount of walking during free time, so actual group mileage would have been less.

Much of the walking was on cobblestones, uneven pavement, walks through the ruins and stairs of ancient sites.

My Best of Turkey tour started near the end of May and temperatures were well beyond the 60s, with some inland days into the 90s.

Posted by
83 posts

Wow surprised at the temps. Maybe I should go earlier in the spring. After a very hot summer in southern NH I don’t want to be wilting on vacation. Any thoughts on timing since I am mostly retired I can go anytime. What was your favorite site?

Posted by
4590 posts

Our Best of Turkey guide said that it had been chilly - jacket weather - on her tour that was 3 weeks before ours, which might have been late April or early May. She seemed surprised at how quickly and dramatically they'd gone from cooler spring weather to warmer weather.

There's also variability between inland (e.g., Ephesus, Konya, Ankara) and seaside (Antalya and Izmir) as well as lower and higher elevations.

Posted by
4590 posts

What was your favorite site?

Almost impossible to answer because of the variety. Ephesus is mind blowing, even after having seen other ancient sites. The landscape of Cappadocia is other worldly, not least when seen peacefully from above on the optional balloon ride. The optional Antalya boat ride is pure seaside resort fun. The Hagia Sophia is glorious, and my fondest memories include the group of ladies I met there. And Turkish breakfasts made me want to wake up early!

Now I'm loving the decor inspired memories of my Turkish carpet and Turkish tile, so I'm very glad for the tour's exposure to those Turkish arts.

I could go on....basically, I loved it all!

Posted by
83 posts

Turkey it is.

Thank you so much now just hoping to set timing so that it is cool enough.

Dot

Posted by
6274 posts

Dot, I traveled to Turkey on my own and had no problems at all. The Turks are incredibly friendly and will go out of their way to help you. I spent 6 days in istanbul, and then traveled to Goreme (in Cappadocia), Fethiye, Ephesus and then back to Istanbul (with a stopover in Izmir). It's such an incredibly beautiful and diverse country. I really want to go back some day.