Please sign in to post.

Greece to Turkey

We will be in Greece and wanted to pop into a Turkey if possible. I see there are buses or train from Athens to Istanbul, albeit pretty long. I assume you would just get your Turkish visa (for US citizen) and then take the train over?

Also interesting though, (according to Rome2Rio) there seems to be a ferry route from Athens to Ephesus. [Island hopping : Piraeus -Vathy, Samos - Kusadasis]. Can you just take the ferry over with your visa and get entrance to the country?

There might be some other island hopping routes too with so many Greek islands.

Posted by
1419 posts

With Athens to Istanbul flights taking as little as 80 minutes and starting at $50, the 13-hour ferry and buses and trains that take even longer seem obsolete.

Posted by
15582 posts

How long is your trip? And when is it? Going by ferry is slow.

Posted by
515 posts

November. It looks so close on the map. I guess I was thinking of Greek island hopping and slipping into Turkey too

Posted by
90 posts

There may not be ferries if you come in November. Flight is easier from Athens. Pegasus or Aegean airlines are two cheapest ones.

Posted by
515 posts

Are Pegasus or Aegean airlines like Ryan Air with extremely low limits on how much carryon you can do?

Posted by
1419 posts

I think they each allow a 8 kg carryon which works out to 17.6 pounds and a personal item the dimensions of a laptop case. A checked bag will have a baggage fee.