Please sign in to post.

Foreign and International Protection Law 6458 in Turkey

When we bought our Visa yesterday, the company we got it from said we may need proof of valid health insurance to enter Turkey. Our Medicare will not cover us, and our MediGaps cover only as out-of-network providers, so getting additional coverage sounds like a good idea. However, as I filled out the application form from (redacted) I could not find what their coverage was. Does anyone know about this company or even whether we need any more insurance than what our comprehensive Travel Insurance policy and MediGaps provide for emergency medical coverage?

Posted by
63 posts

We found this out too late; however, we got the visas. I'm concerned about the need for additional health insurance.

Posted by
1416 posts

As stated above— the only time I ran into the health insurance requirement was when applying for the e-visa. When we arrived at Istanbul airport the only thing the Immigration Official was interested in was seeing a printed copy of the e-visa. No health insurance question was ever asked.

Posted by
7544 posts

I would have an answer, saying you have gap insurance may be enough. There is of course a whole list of requirements most countries require for entry. Not only Health coverage, but onward travel evidence, proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay, any number of things.

But realistically, the most anyone is asked is how long will you be staying and what is your purpose for travel, maybe the address of your stay. If they don't like your answers, then they dig deeper.

Posted by
63 posts

Thanks. We checked with the Turkish government and found that we had valid visas, so the only scam was that they charged us more than we needed to pay.

Posted by
1189 posts

Hello from Wisconsin,
I am not sure, but it seems to me many Medicare Gap policies offers a lifetime total of $50,000 in coverage outside the US. (Lifetime means if you use $10,000 for a problem on one trip, you only have $40,000 left in coverage for the rest of your life's travels). Now if you have an Advantage Plan, bought through an insurance company/medical provider that international coverage may not exist. We selected our retirement coverage so we would have some international coverage.

The easiest way to get insurance coverage is from some organization like TravelGuard. Once again, my memory may be a bit faulty, but I think what they offer is to get you out of the country, NOW, for serious medical situations.

Also, upon arrival at the airport I paid my $20 to get a visitor visa, all they were interested in was the $20. Australia had the same deal. Tourists should have to pay for services provided by the local government.

wayne iNWI