Please sign in to post.

Covid in Turkey now (fall 2022) - safe to travel?

Anyone have experience/thoughts about how safe Turkey is now re Covid? State Department puts alerts at the second level, meaning some risk but not highest.

Posted by
46 posts

I'm in Istanbul right now (at the start of a monthlong trip). Haven't seen many locals wearing masks anywhere, including on the trams. They are all acting as if Covid doesn't exist. When I do see people wearing masks, they are usually tourists. I came across this info on the web, which shows Covid numbers for the entire country, but it doesn't break it out by region or city:

https://covid19.saglik.gov.tr/TR-66935/genel-koronavirus-tablosu.html

Looks like Covid is on a downturn in Turkey, but it's still moderately high, IMO. However, there don't seem to be many places in the world where Covid is actually LOW right now. I think that unless there's a severe outbreak, it's OK to travel to a place as long as you take precautions and don't let your guard down! That means always wearing a mask when you're around other people indoors, even if you're the only one. Personally I don't care if I look too cautious or whatever, I put my health first.

I'm the only one in my family who hasn't caught Covid yet (I've gotten vaxxed and all the boosters available). I a wear an N95 mask when I'm indoors or in crowded places. I don't eat indoors in crowded restaurants (not a big problem, because there is plenty of open air dining in Istanbul).

I hope this helps.

Posted by
6788 posts

"Safety" is not a binary (black and white) condition. Many shades of gray in between. Depends to a great degree on how you behave and also how those around you behave. You can control the first. You can't control the second (though you can maintain some distance from them).

Where I live (Seattle) the rates are fairly low, there are few mask mandates left, and most people I see out and about (and inside public places) are no longer wearing masks (they used to). I still mask-up whenever I go indoors (except at home). People here, like most people everywhere, are acting as if COVID is behind us. Lots of friends who had been careful all along, have told me they caught COVID this spring and summer. I've dodged it so far. Personally, I'll keep masking up for a while.

If you want to be safe, in Turkey or wherever you go (or where you live), don't let down your guard.

Posted by
4603 posts

I found this information on the US Embassy in Turkey's website:

"The Turkish Ministry of Health releases Turkey’s daily vaccination and COVID-19 numbers at https://covid19.saglik.gov.tr/. "

It shows vaccination rates and weekly COVID cases, though not a lot of detail by area. This table shows more of a breakdown, though still not by area. It shows ases were very low in May/June (when I was there) and are coming down off a late July peak, with the most recent data for mid-August.

ETA: Oh, I see I've duplicated essentially the same info that TravelMom had already posted. I should have read more closely!

Posted by
10 posts

I was in Turkey in July and barely anyone was wearing a mask. We flew Turkish Air from LAX to Istanbul - no masks on the plane or during our layovers at the Istanbul airport. I personally felt safe but I’d also had covid the month before and I’d had three shots at that point (just got my fourth last weekend). I didn’t mask in cabs or restaurants and felt safe.