Please sign in to post.

Cappadocia

We're planning to be in Goreme, Cappadocia, in April 20 & 21. We've seen ads about a North Tour that lasts a few hours but starts early in the morning. We won't arrive there until about 10:30AM. Are there any other tours that we can take at that time or should we hire a private taxi? We won't be able to do it next day, because that's air balloon day. Thanks.

Posted by
4326 posts

Do you know what in particular you wish to see? You can likely walk to the open air museum, and you can walk to some of the trail heads through the rock formations.
Kelebek hotel was a wealth of info on tours and arranged a private driver for us--we visited one of the underground cities, the Ilhara Valley (where we did a one-way hike and he picked us up), and Selime monastery, plus a couple other stops.

Posted by
4326 posts

I googled what the north tour is and it sounds like it takes in the Open Air museum--I don't think you need a tour for that--just map the walk from your hotel to see if you need a taxi or if there is any local transport. The rest is a guided walk. Some of the valley hikes were easier to navigate than others, but maps are available. The red valley was the one we found a tad confusing. Love valley was our favorite. But a good hotel will get you sorted on directions and how to get there. I'm all for a tour if it helps, but I really don't think you need to pay extra for those things.
As long as you are not claustrophobic, the underground city was amazing! (I am actually a little claustrophobic, and I did fine--it is well lit and ventilated, which helps.)

Posted by
70 posts

I'm already 85 yrs. of age and I don't like to walk a lot, although on my last trip in September to Italy I think I walked 200 miles and 200 steps and I still felt fine. I know it is possible to walk to most of these places and maybe the only one that I would need a transportation is to Love Valley, a must to do trip; won't you agree? Thanks for all the ideas.

Posted by
4326 posts

No worries, I was much younger myself when I visited and I'd need more taxis nowadays, lol. But then I would not get on a balloon at any age, so you've got me beat there!
Yes, I would say Love Valley is the one to shoot for if you only see one valley. If you arrange a driver and they can take you by red valley for sunset, that would be pretty spectacular also. I would definitely inquire with your accommodation about a driver. The Open Air museum does not take long but it gives you a good overview. It's a small town centered on tourism, so it should not be hard to create a tailored tour just for you.
My memory can not bring up the specifics, but your host or a driver will know the best places to take you for photographs without you having to walk the entire valley. If you are feeling like it, the pigeon valley was not strenuous, and I imagine it is lovely in spring time.
If you do any other paid excursions, the underground city would be my other top suggestion. It's an amazing area, enjoy!

Posted by
37 posts

How was your hot air balloon ride? Do you recommend the company? and how much is the going rate? I'm seeing $350 a person! Ouch! Any suggestions?