Please sign in to post.

Best of Turkey

With the inflation issues they are having in Turkey, do shops etc prefer Euros or USD over Lira when paying with cash?

Posted by
7049 posts

Of course the Turks/ locals would prefer payment in anything other than Lira, but the tourist's perspective is exactly opposite. Always pay by Lira (local currency in any country, not only Turkey) or expect an exchange rate that is favorable to the local merchant, not to your wallet.

Posted by
73 posts

Yes, I always use local for credit card payments, I was inquiring re cash but my original post was not clear. I've updated it. Trying to figure out what to order Euro or Lira. Yes, I know we can use an ATM but after the ATM machine ate my card in Greece last year, I prefer to not be totally dependent on that.

Posted by
697 posts

If you are worried about a machine eating your debit card, just take dollars and find an exchange machine in Turkey. The major hotels have them, for sure, and other places as well. Of course, you will pay a fee for that, but it's not too bad. There is no advantage to taking Euros.

I pay for just about everything in lira. Last fall our tour guide specifically quoted and requested payment in Euros, but everything else I paid for in lira.

My other advice is not to take/exchange more lira than you need. Although the lira has stabilized in recent months, it was dropping like a rock when I was there last fall. When I left the US in mid-October the lira was $0.11; by December it was $0.061. Keep an eye on the exchange rates. The lira can be very volatile.

Posted by
7049 posts

Trying to figure out what to order Euro or Lira

I don't think you could pre-order Lira, and Euros will not be helpful. If you are traveling with someone, just bring 2 ATM cards in case anything goes awry. Or bring some $ USD as an insurance policy, as the other poster suggested (that's a no-lose situation since you will use them back home later). The chance of an ATM card being swallowed up is really minute, unless you waver too much with the button selections and the machine takes the card for security reasons. I've been to Turkey 4 times and always got limited Lira out of an ATM machine - try not to overdraw as no other country will accept that currency. Turkey is super inexpensive so you really don't need to draw a lot. Watch the prices on the ground to get an idea of how much you may want to have to shop at local markets or the like.